Notify
Tools

Question regarding extractor cut
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted
Fellow members,

Can someone explain to me how gunsmiths create the extractor cut into a barrel for a Winchester M70 CRF rifle? Do you need a special cutter? How do you duplicate the cut? Are they standard or does one duplicate the cut of the old barrel. I image the angle needs to be just perfect etc.

Thanks in advance for those who are willing to educate me the subject.

Maurice

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Thank you dpcd for your reply. I thought more work was required to do the cut. Thanks for replying.

Maurice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two specially made cutters, one by JGS and the other by Manson. They both employ the radius seen on the originals. When I first started doing these, it was a PITA due to having to take the barrel on and off to check the clearance, sometimes two or three times. I used to do it the old way, with a hack saw and a file! Once I got my mill, I started using a woodruff cutter and that worked until I discovered the other two cutters mentioned. I still had the problem with the clearance cut until one day I made a print of the dimensions needed to make the clearance cut; derived from one that fit and taken from the DRO on the mill. I used the barrel center and shoulder as reference points.

Now all I do is install the barrel, mark the location of the cut and remove and cut and re-install and it fits every time. Only have to do it once.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Thank you one more time to the folks who answered my question. Thank you dpcd and Jim.

Maurice

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
And here's another way: I bolt a vee-block to the side of my mill table, and then clamp the barrel shank into the vee-block. I swing the mill head over and then use an end mill to make the extractor cut.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
One reason I like having a surface grinder in my shop. I can take an end mill and grind nearly any "special" cutter I need. If you know how to use one they are a very good investment.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote