THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does "redoing" a gun do to the value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I have 2 Marlin .22's I am redoing (as some of you know) and I was wondering what it did to their value? I really, really like the looks of the Savage bull barrel .22, Mark II I think? Anyways, I was thinking about possibly selling these guns or trading them both for a Savage if they were worth that. In "excellent condition" they are both worth about $100 in that condition, but they certainly weren't before I started. The first I'm doing is a single shot Marlin Model 15, I took some shortcuts on it, but it still looks pretty good. I'll have to touch up some tiny spots on the blue, but the stock looks pretty nice and I'm gonna tru-oil and waterproof it. What do you think it would bring? The second is a Marlin Model 20 Glenfield, I haven't even started on it yet, but I'm definetly gonna take my time, plus I'm gonna possibly put a rifle-basix trigger in it, I'm hoping that would add some value? If accuracy is any help to up the cost (I doubt), I recently shot a .03 C-T-C at 50 yards along with other stellar groups. I don't know if I'll get much more accuracy out if a Savage, but I really like their guns, and my Marlin only shoots several inch groups at 100 yards, despite sub 1/2 inch groups at 25 and 50. So basically I want to know the value of both of these, and the second Marlin has 3x9x40 Simmons 8 Point on it, maybe that will add $10? Thanks for any replies!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have regretted selling every gun, even the clunkers. Save your pennies, ask about layaway, christmas is coming. Clean those guns up and in 20 years break them out and let your kids shoot their first squirrel or tin cans. Sounds like they really shoot. I got my 1st rimfire old Glenfield new about 25years ago, that summer my uncle died and I got his just like it. His was beat up and rusted. I tried to fix it up when I was about 14 and lost interest. two years ago I had my Dad dig that bag of parts out of his rafters. Me and my son who is named after my uncle put that gun back together. He learned to shoot with the gun.I would not give you a nickle for one just like it, but no one could buy that gun for a million bucks. I got a 17Mach2 CZ about a month ago. That is going to be my squirrel rig now. I bet it does not leave the cabinet, I will grab one of those old Glenfields and go kill a limit. Answer is no you will not get much more out of them. They are very common. A cold blue refinsh and a newly refinshed stock might bring 60 or so bucks. Counting time and materials you will not make out any better than as is, might lose money. You are very wise for your years. Hope you give it some thought. Keep them both and save up for the Savage

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Good advice, the Model 20 is probably around 40-50 years old and it was my grandpa's, but he said I can do whatever I want with it. It definently has sentimental value, and the Model 15 was my dad's and uncle's that my grandpa got for them. You're right, keeping them would be a better decision, besides, $60 isn't worth hours of work cleaning them up.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Tyler, that advice is good advice. You will dearly miss your first guns should you part with them. Spending money on something you are going to trade off is also not such a great idea as you do not recieve 100% of the investment back for your efforts. Your time and elbow greae will be rewarded, but not your financial investment. Shoot them, enjoy them, and put dollars towards the next one!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote