New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding problem
 Login/Join

<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
I have a problem with a vz-24 mauser. When I remove the barreled action from the stock after bedding it pulls the glass out behind the recoil lug. I tried extra release agent, letting the agent dry longer, letting the glass set longer. polishing the problem area and double coating with release agent and it still pulls out enough bedding to mess up the job. I could use any help you guys can think of. [Mad] [Confused] [Confused]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
What epoxy are you using? How long are you leaving it sit? Are you mixing it thoroughly and in the proper proportions? Have you provided enough tooth for the epoxy to flow and grip? Have you provided clearance ahead of the lug? You have to be careful to remove the barrelled action from the stock in a straight up motion. It does little good and can damage bedding if it rocked or peeled from the stock barrel first.

The area to bedded has to be completely free of contaminants. I will usually wash the area with acetone to remove any possible contaminant. Check the metal over to make certain there are no peened edges that will grip the epoxy by imbedding itself into the epoxy.

Good luck,

Malm

<t_bob38>
posted
Did you put some tape on the front of the recoil lug?

<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
Every thing you have mentioned I have done. I also thought maybe it had not been left to cure lone enough, but on the second try I measured carfuly,double coated it with release agent,used clay on the front of the lug and bowed three time to the east. NO luck. The glass is acura-glas gel. I will try to clean out the spot and spot it in I guess. I haven't had this problen before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Polish the back of the lug and the flat behind the lug. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
SBB---

That's very common.......if you have too much release agent. The release agent is mixing with the epoxy and making a weak goo that's worse than having nothing.

Start over. Clean everything and completely remove the old bedding in the offending area. CLEAN the barrelled action with acetone to remove ALL the old wax.

Now buy a can of good, Carnuba containing, paste floor wax, (I use MinWax "Paste Finishing Wax") and use a small brush, like an acid brush, to brush on a coat of wax being sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. Use a Q-Tip to wipe a coat inside the action screw hole then cut the ends off three Q-Tips and fill the hole with them.

You should never have so much wax to make a visible build-up on the parts. All it does is melt into the epoxy as it heats up during the cure.

There's a LOT of split stocks out there from the same mistake. Too much wax makes soft epoxy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's wood and oil is in it a whiting treatment may be in order. In either wood or synthetic I always use a Dremel to get a fresh surface on the inletting before bedding.

Besides polishing be sure to check lug and receiver geometry as well.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention what kind of stock (material)? Is it one of those injection molded plastic stocks?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote