New
Find
Notify
Tools

'93 Mauser Experiment #2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Started this a year ago. Sarco FN bolt part fitted/welded to '93 body. Some fiddling here and there with tang and a little extension welded on the port side of bridge to actuate bolt shroud plunger. Works great, pretty easy to do but the firing pin is, umm. Off to do a couple of '96's.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very clever; finally some actual gunsmithing stuff here on AR. Did you mill out for the safety lug?

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like trick stuff like this..and give new live to a pretty darn good action.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the idea of leaving some of the hump to act as a recoil abutment for the scope base. Martin Hagn showed me a 98 on which he had inlet the rear base into the charger hump. It looked very nice too. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3768 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see how you mill out the saftey lug abutment.
When you incorporate the safety lug you lose that feature
In a Swed 96 trigger not an issue there. Will you also change to cock on opening too. Are you thinking of keeping the
96 bolt HEAD or keep the FN 98 HEAD? Very interesting
Project. We are of one mind. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mill for the 3rd lug as I only have a Mickey Mouse Grizzly mill and to me wouldn't be worth the effort. I'd take the time, however, to weld up a boss and have a '95 Chilean type bolt handle as lug. I didn't socket-fit the two bolt parts because that seems to me another useless waste of time for nothing. They're just trued and butted in a V block clamped fore and aft and athwart. The plan is to drill several gas holes just above and along the extractor like my Vanguard Weatherby has. To answer Humbarger: Only just forward of the bolt handle (enough to remove the bolt unlock slot in the '93) is used off the FN and the rest is all '93. When I do a '96 (on a junker, first) there might be a problem in that the bolt guide will be shortened.

The hump detail is only because of what happens if one tries to remove it en toto -looks fine when there is a thumb notch, but like hell when not. These are Redfield mauser 99 mounts that Numrich had for $9.45 a set. They are perfect for a SR and I wish I would have bought them out. They only have to have the front mount pruned for length.

Around the same time, I did the same with a Carcano and took it to the point of shooting it with a .308 barrel. Lengthened and fitted a '93/Carcano hybrid trigger guard. Mods to the receiver and a picatinny for an over-center scope. Made a single-stack Colt Sauer rifle mag work but stopped at the detail of retaining it properly, mod floor plate, catches, etc. Tried like hell to make it feed with the '93 guard but there just isn't enough material on the carcano to open up to do it. I know I can make it work with the Type 'I' but....time.

Oh, I made a stock, too.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very interesting project. I enjoy reading the details.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He can't use the FN bolt head because those bolts don't come with heads. They are just the rear 2/3rds of a bolt.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote