Find
Notify
Tools

Tough refinish for Marlin Lever Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I have an older 50s era Marlin that needs refinishes and is in need of rust protection. I use it with the peep sight in the rain and heavy fog for pig, bear, and deer here on the CaliCoast. I just looked over Diamondkote and its color choices and was wondering if you guys have used it and how tough is it. Lots of brush where this gun goes.

Coating Link

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with these people. They are in Nor Cal near Redding.

http://www.hotflashrefinishing.com/

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yuman and others.
I just spent over $150 dollars on a gun recieved back from said company. The bolt ( m-70 ) was re assembled when recieved back, and was so full of parkerizing material that it would not re-cock 1/2 the time and the firing pin hole needed to be cleaned out with a drill bit. The inside of the barrel took my gun smith ( I know because I wa over his shoulder )about 2 hours to get the crap out and get it back to a good finish between the lands. The exterior was very well done. However the interior and small parts ( bolts and springs) were not taken care of like they should have been. I would have not been as pissed but this was the seccond time it has happened to me. My .02 cents....
Sur5er

Posts: 210 | Location: Ncal | Registered: 02 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Krylon??

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diamondkote looks pretty interesting. Please let us know if you choose it. Now, what are you going to do about the wood? Seen some fellas who covered their Guide Gun stocks with truck bed liner...

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the Roguard/NP3 combination? I have it in the back of my mind in case I re-work one of my synthetic stock rifles.

Robar

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Krylon??

Never. An insult to a firearm. If Krylon looks good on it you probably should not shoot it.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The wood will stay wood. It has an old deep finish with a lot of memories to it. I just want the metal to be protected.

This old thing has kill everything from coyotes to wild brahman/watusi bulls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had my co-pilot parkerized and its handled real well up here. Its going on 10 years and I have yet to have a rust issue. WWG's did the finish when the built the rifle.

Theres some good stuff out there but its hard when I have been beating the hell out of my 45/70 for 10years to try something new.

I had an old savage 338 that I krylon'd, it held up for about 7 years before I stripped it off and re-blued it. god it was ugly but it worked.

Now I am having a 9.3 built and its gonna have some kind of nitrate coating that is supposed to be pretty good, the jury is still out.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to have a carry pistol Melonited one of these days. Melonite seems to be holding up very well to wear. i know that others are making other claims for it, but all I am worried about is corrosion protection. This guy has a good reputation of using Melonite on P7's used for concealed carry. I will have him do mine after I have seen a few more done and hold up well to daily use:

Drake's Gun Works

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of electroless nickel plating from Brownells. I had my duty pistol a Colt Series 70 .45 done in 1976 both inside and out and carried it for 20 + years, in fact it is still in service with my son and there is no problem with the finish. I always thought if I needed to weather proof a rifle I would use the electroless nickel finish it als slicks up the action.
Of course I live in Arizona and it we don't have the problem with lots of rain and humitity.
The Robar NP3 finish would be my second choice.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote