New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger "Compact" ?
 Login/Join

<Entheogen>
posted
Does anyone know anything about the new ruger compact rifles?
I was thinking of building a light short rifle (originally thought of the Remington Model 7) based around the 300WSM.. but have allways loved ruger actions..
Would the "compact" rifle action fit the 300WSM dimensionally and or be strong enought for the chamber pressures? Would the Model 7 be a better choice still? any opnions and or thoughts?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If all you want is a compact 300 short mag, why not just pick up a Rem M7 in 300 ultra mag? It would be cheaper in the long run and I doubt you could tell the differance on game from the WSM.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
One more thought on compact mag rifles. The muzzle blast / flash and velocity loss from a short barrel could leave you with nothing more than an unruly 308 [Smile]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<whtlhntr>
posted
wear your ear plugs at all times!
if you want a mag then 22" barrel length should be absolute min. 24" would be a better choice. i had a rem saum and it was a nice shooter. lots of muzzle blast and flash. if you want a compact rifle you should consider a 284 based wildcat or such. no belt, plenty of power and your in the short action. you cant burn all that powder from a wsm in those short barrels. if you check velocities from the manufacturers they all use 24" or better barrels for the numbers. dont get sucked in to the short maq stuff. it is mostly PR doing there job of selling you something you never knew you needed.
if you want the most out of a short action flyweight, stick with the standards or a 284/350 rem mag sized case. thats more than enough and they will work in the shorter, 22" barrels.
IMO
adios
woofer

<Entheogen>
posted
thanks for the opnions on the short mag... but i take it no one has any expierence with the compact rugers???

As for being sold on the short mag hype... the way I see it..you have very short, light handy rifle chambered for a round thats going to be available anywhere (wildcats are wonderful.. as long as you can return to your loading bench) that will shoot, in a worse case, scenerio like an 06! Where is the problem with that?
I dont care for the name "magnum"... it dosent make me more of a man to shoot a "magnum" ... but to have a model 7 (for example) that will shoot as flat as an 30\06(if not flatter) and carry as much (if not more) power, AND have the convience of ammo at the local sporting good store is a pretty damn good proposition. Even if we do hand load (which most if not all of us do) then the brass is no futher than your next box of 'plinking' ammo... even if the powers that be call it a magnum. The Old standards are great rounds, thats how they got old! But if something comes along that can do the same thing but in a lighter rifle then so be it! The short mags are nothing more than a commercial version of several wildcats that have been out for years..just my 2cents .. but then im one who loves to see new products comming out..even if the product its self isnt something I like, it opens up a new relm of oppertunity for wildcats and more new products...

one of us
posted Hide Post
My only experience with the compact Ruger is handling them at the gun store - nice looking units - but to me they are too damn short in the stock - when I shoulder the rifle my thumb is touching my lower lip - I feel like I'm pointing a BB gun - with a caliber generating any sort of significant recoil impact with the scope would also concern me. The Model 7 has a more or less standard 13 3/16 inch pull - I would even add a pad to it with their SAUM's. Being light weight is nice but the rifle should point naturally without the shooter making adjustments. In the field you can really creep up on the stock - I have been smacked by scopes and have seen others with severe eye cuts or broken glasses. I like Rugers - just not the compact hunting rifles.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Entheogen

I have just put a Ruger Compact on layaway at my local shop. I decided on a .260 Remington. My concern for this rifle/caliber combination is that the 16.5 inch barrel with a .264 inch bore is going to lose an appreciable amount of velocity because the ratio of bore capacity to case capacity is going to cause a lot of unburned powder coming out of the end of the barrel. Ie.. wasted energy that is not transferred to the bullet. I would imagine that the same issue would be relevant to your barrel length to bore diameter to case capacity ratios too. I just dont see how a "magnum" cartridge of any caliber is going to do well in a very very short barrel.

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rifleman1

Send me a private message. I just noticed your place of residence.

I have my rifle at Larry's and should get it soon.

Ya want to go to Swan Creek and kill some paper?

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Handle one first. In a potent cartridge they WILL kick and roar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can save you the trouble of building one. I have a stainless Remington 300 short action ultra mag model 7 I am selling to fund a bench rest rifle. I will even throw in mounts, rings, brass and dies. $625. Email if interested.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote