New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock fit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
another model 70 question, my mod 70 win in 270 had lost its accurracy, stinging shots. the stock was putting pressure on the right hand side. I now have sanded the stock to relieve that pressure, but have noted that the only real pressure piont on the barrel prior to this was at the end of the stock. question is too free float the entire barrel or leave that piont of contact. while I have it apart, its likely the time to remove that pressure point. any suggestions, past experience etc. anyone would like to share.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've both glassed the fore-end tip and free-floated the barrel. I usually glass first, since it's harder to build up a "hump" if free-floating doesn't work.

FWIW, if you decide to have a contact point at the fore-end, I think I'd glass it, rather than just leave it as it is. You want consistency, and you can get that by either floating or glassing it, while the factory hump can't, usually.

BTW, now that you've sanded the barrel channel, you'll need to seal it to prevent moisture from absorbing into the wood. Spar varnish works.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after my post, I looked things over and decided I would stay with the pressure piont from the factory, reseal the wood and head for the range asap and see how it shot. I agree it is a tough job to replace the hump, so will let the groups dictate my next move. My other mod 70's are free floated varmint rifles and it improved the accurracy in both. thanks for the help, Jaywalker. lookout