New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mod.77 MarkII Triggers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine has a Ruger 77 MarkII in a 25-06 that is very accurate, if you can manage the trigger pull. You can darn near pick the cocked rifle up by the trigger itself by the trigger with out it goin off.
I am not familiar with the newer Rugers, are thier triggers adjustable or is a replacement the answer?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Go Timney and never look back. If you are the LEAST bit careful and have fewer than 10 thumbs, you can do it yourself. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, go with the Timney. It is a superb trigger and I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't be tickled to death with one. They are a little tedious to put in, but if you take your time and go slowly, rechecking the fit of the safety often, you'll do fine. They are fully adjustable for engagement, letoff and overtravel.
I have installed several and think they are the best, IMHO.
I think you've picked a fine rifle in the Ruger also. Lately, the Remingtons and Winchesters I've seen have been fitted poorly, some very poorly. The last 4 or 5 Rugers I've installed triggers in, I've had the chance to shoot and, all were very accurate. This is a big surprise to me as in the distant past, I wasn't impressed with Ruger accuracy. But it seems, the new Ruger rifles are really shooting fine, and the fit and finish is even better than before, which wasn't bad. Maybe Ruger is using their collective heads and taking advantage of the dropoff in quality of other rifles to steal the market away from Remington and Winchester. As far as I can see the only real competition to Ruger right now is Savage. Savage is also apparently taking advantage of the shoddy quality offered by Rem and Win to steal market share. Hooray!
I don't think anyone buying a rifle for hunting or target shooting right now would be disappointed with either a Ruger or Savage. I sure can't say that for most of the others.

[ 08-26-2003, 20:48: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Timney as well. I'd never installed a trigger before and in about an hour I had one put in a Ruger like yours. Some people complain about them and claim that they are no better than the factory trigger but for me and what I'm gonna do with the rifle its a huge improvement and worth the time and money. If you can do any sort of the most basic maintenance on your cars or firearms you wont have any trouble putting it in.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I used several Dayton Traister's before the Timney came out... they worked well and are easy to install and are about $25 less than the Timney. Still, I believe I'd go with the Timney as it has an over-travel stop.

BA

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt that you could pick up the rifle by the unfired trigger. My last Ruger MkII came with a 8 Lb, 11 oz trigger pull, (which is more than the gun weighed) and had .114" of take up and creep in it. My gunsmith got it down to 3 Lb, 4 oz and got the creep out of it but it took alot of work. My gun is left handed so I didn't have the Timney option then.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Timney in my 77MkII (270win) and haven't looked back. Bit fiddly to install, but accuracy has improved out of sight!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Yukoner,

No need to replace these triggers unless you just gotta dump money somewhere. The Ruger triggers are "easily" correctable. Of course by the time you pay shipping to and from the Yukon Territory, and the $40.00 it would take to have the trigger reworked, it might be cheaper to seek an alternative.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I would also take the Timney route. I know that the Ruger triggers can be stoned to smooth them up, but I don't think that it's a job for beginners...

Installing a Timney is easy IF YOU READ THE DIRECTIONS CORRECTLY...You need to file the trigger a bit at a time so it has a tight fit to your safety..

They're really good triggers, and about $85 Canadian last time I checked, which was a couple of years ago.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A freind went the timmy route he has some nice 2.5lb triggers he gave be his old ruger triggers to play with and not have to worry about ruining mine. I did get mine down to about 4lbs. I destroyed one of the ones he gave me trying to get it down lighter. I tryed every thing I could findlly taken off so much it wasn't safe anymore. It still wasn't as nice as his timmy's. No go with the timmys and don't look back.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote