Find
Notify
Tools

Win 94 barrel threads vs Big Bore?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, is there a difference in the barrel shank and threads for the Win 94 standard and Big Bore?
Looks like I should be able to screw on a 375 Win barrel on a regular 94 and shoot reasonable reloads in it? Any problems?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I do believe the shanks are different between the two.

You'd be better off getting a .38-55 barrel for it. That would, no doubt, fit. Also, the .38-55 pressures would be more in line with a .30-30, for the receiver's sake.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard 94 is .809"x20 TPI. The 375 Big Bore 94 barrel I measured was .875"x28 TPI. To big to screw in but big enough to rethread if you have a lathe. HTH

one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
Numrich has 26" .38-55 octagon barrels in stock for the 94 Winchester cheap. I have one I just got for converting a late 1970s vintage .30-30 94. This should make a nice cast bullet shooter and the bore seems smoother than the factory original. The lands on the original look like they have file teeth and copper fouled like a demon.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote