New
Find
Notify
Tools

P14 /17 Conversion to 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for detailed info on the magazine size and depth for the conversion of P14/17 to 375 H&H. I have both actions.....would like to know what mod's are required in length, to the feed rails, etc. Did see a great post early on 416 conversion but no internal detail. A book reference that has pic or dimensioning would be helpful. Comments pls.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a waste to use those big actions on such a light cartridge, they are great for a 505 Gibbs or bigger, also the value of the finished product is considerably more valuable. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 42161 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might contact Jim Wisner, he not only will most likely have the data you seek, but he also makes replacement bottom metal (hinged floorplate etc.) and probably some other things that go with the enfield.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't let these magnum maniacs do your thinking for you. Do that P14 in what you want. I am doing my P14 in .30-338WM and that's my final answer!

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray & others,

Care to share your thoughts on taking a US1917 to 505 Gibbs?

And yes, I'm too lazy to search the archives right now.

Reed

FWIW, I have a spare Winchester 1917 action in the safe... (No, it's not for sale)

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed,

Try this link.

All,

Any strong opinions on the H&H case on a P-14 bolt? Is the 0.540" boltface designed for the .303 too big for reliable feeding and extraction of the 0.532" of the H&H?

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why do some think it's a waste to build a 375 on an Enfield action when the action was originally built as a 30-06? I honestly don't understand.

Also, many people have suggested to me that my '17 Enfield is worth much more as it is and not to "cut it up" to make something else. BUT, no one has offered any money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work fine. I did a P-14 in 7mm Rem mag. , sorry Ray : ), and it worked great. I did end up using a magazine box for a Browning BAR though. I also did a P-14 in 45-70. That was more work to get it to feed right. It now feeds super slick. I found that I needed a little clearance in the bolt face and extractor on both projects. If it is too tight the rim will not feed up under the extractor and feeding gets sticky. You need it ever so slightly snug but, not a snap in fit. Polishing everything makes a hug difference. If the rails are rough you don't get a true picture of how it is working. Both of mine were done with a Dremmil tool. I did not have access to a mill at that time I did the rails. I just worked slowly and carefully.

Fot the outside cotouring I made a mandril that screwed into the ring threads and fit all the way out the back of the action. It has centers so that you can put it in a dividing head. I used a horizontal mill for some of the contouring and vertical for the small cuts.

Some of the real experts can give more detailed instructions and probably better advice, but that is what worked for me.

These actions are big but there is a lot to trim off. Seems like I read somewhere that the Remington 720 was a bit lighter than the Winchester M-70. So, I guess if you work at it you can cut it down to size.

As for messing up collectable rifles, I got five P-14s for $30 a piece. They were drill rifles So I didn't feel bad about it, at the time. No I wish I had saved a nice one for re-conversion back to military configuration.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
BushmasAR,

The reason is that it is very costly labor wise, you can buy a CZ probably for what it costs in labor to do it properly. However, the really big cartridges that won't fit into a CZ or M70 the P17 can take, so for those you don't really have as much of a choice if you want something huge like that.

So I guess in summary- there are cheaper guns to convert to 375, and if you go through all the trouble and expense to convert a P17 it is really no more money to make it into something much much bigger that can't be done with other actions.

However, please don't think anyone is telling you what or what not to do with your gun. Ray might have been trying to keep you from realizing at some point "Man, for all the money and effort I have in that 375 I could have built a 577!" or something along that line.

P.S. What sort of money were you hoping someone would offer you on your P17?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
what is your p17 is it a remington,winchester or eddystone?? I have an eddystone that is all matching and it is prolly worth around 550$ check and see how orginal your gun is. If it is all matching I would say it is worth at least 5 bills, If it is complete but a mixmaster I would say at least 4 bills, this will put you well on the way to just buying the CZ in 375 that everyone is talking about

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's great to see interest in these actions as they have been used for all ranges of conversion from 22 to 50 calibre.All comments have merit and are greatly appreciated. I am looking at 375 H&H as I have a barrel and reamer on hand plus a BSA commerical P14 action in 303 that's past its time. Need a phone number for Jim Wisner to see what he has for bottom metal and Model 70 style shroud. Also I have been told that GunParts markets a Magnum box for these actions....has anyone experience with these?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might look at Haas's book "Bolt Action Rifles". He talks about various conversions in the gunsmithing section. From memory the P14 bolt face is almost correct for the H&H series but the P17 has the longer magazine required for the 375 type cartridges. Lots of folks have rechambred to 300 Win or 308 Norma if your barrel is good. Both can be modified to use the P14 303 barrel.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Need a phone number for Jim Wisner to see what he has for bottom metal and Model 70 style shroud.

I'm not sure how much Wisner charges for bottom metal, but Dennis Olson put a hinged floorplate with a M70 style release on a stock (straightened) bottom metal for me several years ago. It looks and works great and wasn't very expensive.

As I posted in an earlier thread ("M17 rework" or something like that) consider keeping that original safety! It can be converted to 3-position. The biggest drawback is that it limits how much you can reshape the tang.

Quote:

Also I have been told that GunParts markets a Magnum box for these actions....has anyone experience with these?

The work fine, although they're not shaped quite right for H&H cartridges- too close to rectangular. The good news is that there is a seam at the rear of the box, so they can easily be widened at the back of the box to more closely match the taper of a 375 H&H.

Quote:

I am looking at 375 H&H as I have a barrel and reamer on hand plus a BSA commerical P14 action in 303 that's past its time.

I see you've received some ribbing for using an Enfield for such a "small" cartridge, but I think they are a great match. One of these days I'm going to have my action barreled in 300 H&H.

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Many of you may not know Holland and Holland Made the 375 on P14 actions. I have one that was made by Holland in 1955.

I would be happy to send Photos if anyone would like ot see it.

I will post a link to it with my Jeffery and my Westley Richards.

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see your Pic's email to rgiberson@sympatico.ca Great looking rifles....are all three Enfields?

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
No, just the top one...it is the Holand and Holland .375 on a P14 action.

Urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote