New
Find
Notify
Tools

stupid enfield question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any suggetstions what do with an enfield mark IV action?

any other caliber besides a 303british? 444?

[ 11-23-2002, 03:39: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
send it to me [Razz]

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Or Me!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, it can be rebarreled to 303 British or 303 Epps. Shilen produces a fine .311 barrel now so it is possible if you want a quality .303.
The action is also suitable for the 30/40 Krag or a number of widcats based on the Krag case.
To make a nice sporter on one of these actions is a real (some would say insurmountable) challenge but it's a rifle and if it's accurate (mine is)it can be fun to shoot. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill
Is the Ross action difficult to work with? if say I were crazy enough (not likely) to build a gun on a Ross action? Including a new barrel?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing really tricky about it. I have rebarrelled them in several different calibers. They are plenty strong. The magazine work is the only real problem depending on the cartridge. I have one in the shop right now I'm rechambering to an Epps. You have one in an Epps don't you? Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have seen some beautiful sporters on an enfield action. I am kind of addicted to them myself. I would make a .303 Epps, African express rifle-style.

That is what I'm doing now, actually

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Nothing really tricky about it. I have rebarrelled them in several different calibers. They are plenty strong. The magazine work is the only real problem depending on the cartridge. I have one in the shop right now I'm rechambering to an Epps. You have one in an Epps don't you? Regards, Bill.

Yes I have one in Epps. The magazine is a major problem for me. Please let me know how you get it to feed. The main problem as I see it, is that the magazine was designed for tapered cartridges. So, feeding the epps, the more cartridges you put in the mag, the lower the back of the top cartridge sits, until it wont pick up the cartridge with the bolt. The lack of magazine pressure in this area, also leads to rims jumping over each other in the mag during recoil from heavier loads, causing jams.
Simply putting a few regular 303's in the bottom solves much of these problems, but having two types of amo with you is a pain.
I have had limited success building up the back of the carrier with "JB Weld" (Still have the rim jumpng problem)
Completely redesigning the mag like the SMLE's in 308 seems to be the probable best solution to me, but is beyond my abilities, so I keep playing, it's just a fun project gun anyway, the barrel is not that great.

[ 11-23-2002, 15:49: Message edited by: John Y Cannuck ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
45-70 bush gun - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great suggestions

how does the 303Epps compare to the 303 british?

I've seen the gibbs(??) 45-70, wasn't terribly impressed, but it was probably just poor workmanship ,

has anyone done the conversion of a 303 to a 45/70 ? If so how involved was it?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on action strength, the Epps can be loaded to have ballistics equalling, or exeeding the 308, and make a bigger hole. On really strong actions, you can push even further. I worked up a load on my Ross that shot faster than an '06, accuracy sucked, so I pitched it. I have yet to start working with the 215 grain bullet loads. I have great hopes for them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done a 45-70 myself, but there was an article about it in one of the gun rags some time back. Apparently the hardest part was getting the nag to feed, they had to convert it to center feed with delrin inserts. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gibbs Summit Rifle, 45/70

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html
http://www.gibbsrifle.com/4570faq.html

interesting
jeffe

[ 11-26-2002, 23:38: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote