New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Leather Covered Recoil Pads??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
when you dye the leather, does this come of on clothing later? do you dye and then rinse the whole setup a few times or what? I am just thinking about my dress socks that are stained from the die of my leather shoes coming through.

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Ive never had it rub off on my clothing. After the leather is dyed if you buff it with a dry cloth you will remove any excess dye left on the surface of the leather. Lets hope your shoulder doesnt sweat like your feet! lol j/k

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope not!! :-)

where do you buy your leather, is there an online distributor you like?

I have a decelorator I took off a stock, it would be a fun excercise. what is the glue that you use? I have some 3m spray on glue, would that work you think?

Red

<Guest>
posted
Red

Try these guys.

http://www.leatherfactory.com/

Blue

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Red,

I use barge cement - the adhesive used has to be flexible for obvious reasons. When you use barge cement make sure you use adequate ventilation. It contains a chemical that when absorbed into your system never leaves. Its called an "accumulative poison". Settles in your liver if memory serves so do it outside or infront of an open window. The leather I normaly use is pigskin lining. Available from
http://www.tandyleather.com

Unless the customer doesnt like pigskin then I use orthopedic calf skin. No the cows arent on crutches.....its normally used for prosthetic attachements...

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the warning bill, that's a really pleasant thought. I'll make sure I not only do it in the open but will have a fan blowing to take the fumes away fromme, and wear a respirator.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Silvers pads or one of the Silvers knock off pads like London Guns..they have the holes pre drilled and the rubber plugs come with them...to cover the rubber plugs I made a mold by drilling a hole the just slightly undersize of the plugs, in a block of hard wood, and using a dowl of proper size or close I wet the leather and force it down into the hole with the dowl rod and let it stand until dry..when dry I cut it away and slip the leathers over the rubber plugs that are covered with leather cement the stick them in the block one more time to dry, when dry and stuck I put them in the pad and its finished and fitted..works pretty slick...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote