New
Find
Notify
Tools

CRF Sako?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A recent thread talked about a Sako factory conversion of some of their Safari moodels in 416 Rem Mag to crf.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=4729&F_Board=UBB5&Thread=746570&partnumber=1&postmarker=

This work on the bolt face seems relatively straight forward to my inexperienced and untrained eyes.

I am tempted to pick up a Sako 75 closeout in 7mm STW, and try the modification. If it feeds ok, then I will rebarrel to 416 Rem Mag. The cartridge dimensions are the same from base through the shoulder.

Does anyone see any compelling reason why it would not work?

Thanks,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The extractor on the CRF seems to be a bit bigger. May want to convert that also. I am assuming there is a reason they did it.

I wonder if one could do something similar to older Rugers to make them true CRF?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could also be a very good way to learn to do it yourself. Seems to be pretty straight foreward by looking at it. I wouldn't attempt it myself but if I had half an inclination (or beer) in me I think I would give her a go. Mill out the bottom or such. Question tho - are you saving any $$ by converting a PF to the CRF? Unless you have the old PF laying around then I would just buy the CRF and be done.

Nawwwww, where's the fun in that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Teal,
David Tubb (Superior Shooting Systems, WHAT-ever) sells four sizes of extractor. I am going to order his largest size. That is the one used for Lazzeroni cartridges. If that still isn't big enough I'll get dimensions off of the picture.

This would definitely be a job for someone with a lot of experience getting CRF's to feed.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will buy a couple used Winchesters as I come across them to be the basis for some nice rifles (300 Win Mag & 416 Rem Mag), but it will likely cost a good bit of money to get them to be 100% rifles.

I love just about every thing about Sako's. Good triggers, normally very good workmanship, a stock design that was tailor made for me, great triggers, etc., etc. The only fly in the ointment is that all the idiots, 'er, ah, knowledgeable rifle afficianados on this sight constantly throw out the "but it ain't CRF" canard. If I can get Sako's to be dead nuts reliable in the CRF version, then I will reply "but your rifle ain't a Sako".

JCN

PS, Does any body know WTF Sako uses for wood on its non deluxe models? It isn't walnut, but I'm not a wood nut, and can't identify it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 75 Hunters use Walnut except of course for the Laminated or sythetic versions.......DJ

http://www.sako.fi/

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the same line as this post,last week I had a look at a new laminated SS 270 WSM from Savage and found the same thing as what Sako did.
They also kept the exstractor but cut a groove in the bolt for the blade exjector.
My mod 12 does not have this setup.
I just wonder if this was one of there express actions or did they also made a chance?
Anybody know?

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote