Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win to a 338 Ultra
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I have a Ruger ( Model>77)338 Win Mag. Can it be reamed out to a 338 Ultra mag.?? If so where can I send it for a good job in California.
Thanks Marc

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The magazine box is way too short, and the boltface is too small---it's a lot more work than just reaming the chamber.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
How bout a 416 Ruger?

www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction,

the boltface is "NOT" too small nor large. It is perfect.

I do not know much about Ruger magazine box length but I have in the past converted a Winchester M70 chambered in 338 Win Mag to 338 Remington Ultra Mag and I've also converted Remington M700 that was chambered in 7mm Remington Mag to a 338 Remington Ultra Mag without any magazine box modification as well as any machine work to the boltface.

If it were me, I would ship my rifle to Pac-Nor and have them chamber and install their match grade barrels for gunsmithing work in Southern Oregon.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Serves me right to not check my sources--the case head will fit your bolt And, of course the mag box can be modified; like I said, there's more to it than just reaming it.

John Farner

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
John What would you charge for this??

www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
To rechamber, modify the box to fit and make it feed I'd estimate around $250.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build a 257Wby on it,thank me later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought is the 330 Dakota.

The brass is available and very good quality.

John, please correct me if I am wrong, but is the Dakota 330 conversion a bit easier, and the cartridge less "overbore" as in excess recoil for small velocity gains??

Just a thought

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opening the Ruger boltface and rails to do that(Dakota),in conjunction with the mag mods...would be a long way to go.

Go 257Wby and live a little.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much real world gain IMHO, unless you intend really long shots. Then might want a much heavier rifle.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High BC .338" performance in a non-Safari lengthed Ruger boltgun,is gonna come up shy of the mark.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
An interesting article somewhat related to the question of rechambering the Ruger

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
340 Wby would be a little easier to convert to; Same length as 338 UM, but same diameter case.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote