Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Stocks
 Login/Join

posted
I have a K98 Mauser that was bubbad before I got it.
It was originally an Israeli Mauser 308 caliber 1-14 twist barrel.
The barrel is usable but badly worn so I want to replace it with a McMillian stock but have not found much on their site.
( probably my lack of google foo) so am asking if anyone has done it and what stock yo used

RODMKR

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I doubt you have a K98; those are small ring Polish Mausers. Israeli 7.62s were all built on large rings; German WW2, Czech and FNs. Israeli had a factory but didn't make receivers. That is important if you are ordering a stock.
You are replacing the barrel; what contour? Order the stock to match whatever contour barrel you have. That is the same with any barrel contour; get a stock to match, or custom inlet it to fit.
. Also, it is best to place changes to your question on the same thread, as matching them up is hard.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Would have if had known how to edit post but found no way to do so in header and being a newbe I did my best.
As to the Mauser it is a large ring K98 !
I have researched it to some extent and found it to be a Chech K 98 large ring not a small ring!!

rodmkr

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can go in and delete your first post.
No such thing as a large ring K98. All K98s are small ring.
Don't confuse K98s with Kar 98s, both small ring, with Kar98k which is the large ring German army rifle.
As I said, all Israeli mousers are made on German, Czech, or FN receivers. They make all the rest.
What are the markings on the receiver?
Not trying to be picky, we just want to be correct to avoid confusion.
Because if you ask for a stock for a K98, you will get a small ring 98 Mauser stock.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Kar98a are small ring usually WWI era. A K98 is a short, for WWII standards, M98. Most WWII German Mausers were called K98 but maybe 98k is more correct.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
On the bottom right banner of your post you will see a brush icon. Click that and the box opens on edit mode with an option to either edit your post or just delete it.

quote:
Originally posted by rodmkr:
Would have if had known how to edit post but found no way to do so in header and being a newbe I did my best.
As to the Mauser it is a large ring K98 !
I have researched it to some extent and found it to be a Chech K 98 large ring not a small ring!!

rodmkr

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Kar98a are small ring usually WWI era. A K98 is a short, for WWII standards, M98. Most WWII German Mausers were called K98 but maybe 98k is more correct.

What the arms were called and what they were marked differ.

As DPCD mentions, the Polish version of the Kar98a was marked K98. The German Kar98a was marked Kar 98. The WWII German Kar98k is marked "Mod 98".

I once had a very confusing conversation with a gent about a Model 1894 Mauser. turns out I was talking about a Swedish 1894 (carbine) while he was talking about a Brazilian 1894.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You can go in and delete your first post.
No such thing as a large ring K98. All K98s are small ring.
Don't confuse K98s with Kar 98s, both small ring, with Kar98k which is the large ring German army rifle.
As I said, all Israeli mousers are made on German, Czech, or FN receivers. They make all the rest.
What are the markings on the receiver?
Not trying to be picky, we just want to be correct to avoid confusion.
Because if you ask for a stock for a K98, you will get a small ring 98 Mauser stock.

It's spelled MAUSER!...even in Isreal

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was spelled with an O. Even though I have collected them for 50 years.
It is hard to type on my cell phone with fingers covered in cutting oil.
Rich, please, no, K98 is not a good short name for a WW2 Mauser. Never. Guys like to say that who don't know what a K98 is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mic-----key------MOUSE-----R !

So there!

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes,Mouse-r, just like a cat.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The meaning is the same, anyway. Maybe an ancester was some kind of pied piper.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
The meaning is the same, anyway. Maybe an ancester was some kind of pied piper.

In which case, any Mauser would be overkill.........

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
So now that "we" have settled on what is not.
Apparently it is an Israeli 98 in 308, what stock does he need?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
So now that "we" have settled on what is not.
Apparently it is an Israeli 98 in 308, what stock does he need?

If memory serves, McMillan only offers a drop in stock for the Interarms Mark X. Anything else they will do a 95% inlet or you can send them your barreled action and let them install it. Things could have changed, a phone call/email to them would be the best idea.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very simple; he needs a large ring 98 stock. With a barrel channel for whatever barrel he has. A MKx stock will have a cut for a thumb safety, which he might not want.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Tom, Maybe the guy would be happy with just a minty original stepped standard 98 Mauser barrel. Didn't you say you have a ton of take-offs laying around? Large ring, large threads?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes I do; if he wants another 8mm. Mint bores; not so much. Let's say that there are shootable.