New
Find
Notify
Tools

throating procedure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did a chamber cast of my rifles and my 300wsm came out with a freebore length of about .075"; seemed just a trifle too short for me.

I checked clymers website and they spec the freebore length as .175. I took the rifle to the smith and he recommended using a throating reamer to increase the freebore.

Question I've got is : has anybody used a throating reamer by hand, and if so, is there a stop collar on the shank to know when you've got the depth set right or is it just measure/cut/measure/cut? I've cut a chamber by hand before so I don't view the task as impossible.

I don't hold any grudge against the smith since i supplied the reamer and he would have had no way of knowing the reamer cut like it did. BTW the rifle (VZ-24) shoots great until I got a little over the published maximums, didn't stay there too long.

I recommend everyone get an ingot of cerrosafe or similar alloy and do some chamber casts, it's real quick to do and could point out some problems you didn't know were there.

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Don't you know that unless you cut it on a lathe the gun will never shoot again? <G>

Of course chambers have been cut by hand for eons, the finished product can be just as good but as you know it takes quite a bit more time.

Here is how I would throat, feel free to try this way or not. Clamp the barrel in a drill press table, muzzle pointing down doing through the center hole. Take measurements of the barrel in relationship to the column to make certain it is aligned straight as possible, then make a 2X4 brace to hold the muzzle steady. Put a center in the chuck of the drill, to support the back of the reamer while you turn it. Take measurements from the reamer to the table of the drill press to determine your depth.

Oh, remember this is supposed to be fun. <G>

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't forget to turn the reamer with a pipe wrench. GEEZ.....

Seriously, Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool and Gauge makes a throating tool with a stop collar of his own design and can be use for hand reaming (but not with a pipe wrench). COntyact him at

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
irwin

First off lets not mistake me for some one that knows anything. A lot of smiths cut the throat off of their reamers or order them with out a throat. So as far as your short throat,I think it is a blessing.
Go ahead and seat your favorite bulit out as far as you want in your mag and and cut your throat to fit. I wouldn't be supprised that a lot of guys cut that last couple of thou. by hand.
As far a 30 cal throater goes your only problem will be holding it dead straight by hand. I like Marks idea. the only other thing I could think of would be a bushing. As far as that goes it would be twice the pain in the but without a lathe than the problem you already have.

Just go slow and have some fun.

Good luck
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to do it by hand it is best to power it with a Blacker and Decker (or any other drill you like) rather than literally doing it by hand with a tap wrench.
The stop collar and guiding system would depend on what make of throater you use. An empty cartridge case can be used to make up a guide if you like. It is better to do these things in a lathe but it can be done freeehand as well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3780 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
That's good Jim, ROFLMAO!!!!!

Yes, I do have a pipe wrench.....I bought it for Hornady dies.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote