THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing epoxy from Zeiss 56mm obj ring mount???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

I have a Zeiss riflescope which had a claw mount ring clamped and glued to the scope objective I have since removed the ring but the glue/epoxy remains. Any idea how to remove the cured glue without damaging the scope objective?

Thanks for your help
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Avoid the temptation to use heat. Wink

Seriously, there are epoxy solvents out there; perform an internet search on 'epoxy solvent'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi George.

Thanks your right, I have been tempted.... I'll do some searching...

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, try sticking it in the freezer for a couple of hours and then try to "chip" it off with a mylon or plastic scraper, spatula.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, just curious--what is the technical reason not to use heat? Are the chemical charges in scopes susceptible to causing problems?

I've always figured it would be a bad idea to get to close to a heat source with your scope, but didn't really know why.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem with heat is you might make it too hot...

1) exceed the allowable expansion amount of the tube verses the glass and its seal.
2) burn the seal, glue or baked on coating..

Never know how things might react. If the temp drops I can take it outside and see if that makes a difference. Tried that last night but it only went to -10 or so Not cold enough...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, I considered much of that...

I'm such an idiot, I'd probably take an acetone or MEK soaked rag and just hold it on the Epoxy and keep on doing that...., or actually not so crazy, Golfworks sells an epoxy remover, and I would actually try that...

Good Luck

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any other experience/options?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Joe, try sticking it in the freezer for a couple of hours and then try to "chip" it off with a mylon or plastic scraper, spatula.

Ditto
Should pop right off after freezing.

Don

posted Hide Post
Fish,

The glass and the tube will expand/contract at different rates and you might wreck the seals or crack the lenses. Also, I doubt high heat would be good for the lens coatings. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJP:
Any other experience/options?

MEK is Epoxy solvent!!
acetone is slower than mek. dancing

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Methyl chloride takes the epoxy right off.

However, do a small area on the inferior surface of the scope first. You want to see if the methyl chloride effects the finish on the scope itself.

If it does, then I agree with using the freezer technique (i.e. freeze the scope and then scrape the epoxy off with your fingernail or something plastic).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote