Find
Notify
Tools

11-87/1100 drill and tap
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted
Everybody keeps telling me that the reciever on a 11-87 and 1100 is to thin to drill and tap.

If this is true how is remington able to drill and tap it's 11-87 SP-T?

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I misread that. The SP-T has a barrel mounted sight. My experience is with receiver mounted sights. But to answer your question regarding mounting sights on Remington receivers, I do a ton of them a year. Mostly 870's but with zero problems. As far as the receiver goes, the only place they are too thin to tap is in the area where the barrel hood rests. The area behind this is plenty thick for mounting rails and ghost ring sights. XS Systems sells their receiver mounted sights to a large Remington 870/1100/11-87 population.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The rifled slub barrels for my 11-87 have the scope mount on a cantilever that slides over the barrel. So the reciever is not drilled and tapped. On the other side of the coin, the remington 7400 frifles come drilled and tapped and I imagine they are the same reciever. So, they should be able to handle it fine. The pressure on a 270,30-06 or 35 whelen is much higher than a shotgun.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
The rifled slub barrels for my 11-87 have the scope mount on a cantilever that slides over the barrel. So the reciever is not drilled and tapped.

I have one of those.
They come with 1" Warne rings. [yet another bastard besides the CZs and 22 tip off]

I have found that the open sights with two glowing dots in the rear and one at the muzzle works so well, that I can skip the scope.
At 50 yards, the slug holes in the target actually touch.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote