New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 12 Trigger Replacement
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone offer suggestions for replacing the trigger on a Savage Model 12 varmint rifle? Unfortunately, I purchased it just before they introduced their Accutrigger .

Thanks,
douglast

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad, the AccuTrigger is good, but some of the after market triggers are, IMHO, better.
My first choice would be the Rifle Basix SAV-2, it costs around $150 from Brownells and is adjustable from 4oz to 3#, here's a link to it:
Rifle Basix SAV-2
My second choice would be Sharp Shooter's Supply Savage trigger here:
SharpShooter's Supply trigger

Third would be any of the Timney or others at:
Brownells Savage Triggers

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the Rifle Basix trigger but the Sharp Shooter Supply trigger works great on my old 110C. The trigger that leaves the safety intact is adjustable from 12 oz to 2 Lbs and costs like $88. They also have a benchrest trigger that adjust from 4 oz - 14 oz but it doesn't let you use the safety anymore for about $125. The really nice part is that anyone who isn't a complete klutz can install and adjust them. All I had to do was open up the slot in the trigger guard because the housing is wider on the SS trigger.

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Don't feel bad, the AccuTrigger is good, but some of the after market triggers are, IMHO, better.

Bobby,
Thanks for the information. I was eyeing the Sharp Shooter's Supply Savage trigger but you have given me a couple of other options to think about.

About the accutrigger, I have not shot one but expect it has got to be better than the standard trigger shipped with the "old" model 12s.

Thanks again,
douglast

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've put Timmy triggers on 10 or so savages and have had good luck with them all easy to install. They provide a lot nicer pull then the factory trigger

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger will let you keep the safety functinal, while the Benchrest trigger from SharpShooter will not. I have both, and the only significant operational difference is the safety. Both are smooth, easy to adjust and install. I haven't tried the Sav1 RB trigger so can't comment on that. I also have the SSS Competition trigger in a number of other Savages, and they are a huge improvement over the old trigger system. If you will be using this rifle in the field, and not just at the range, I think the working safety is a must-have.

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote