New
Find
Notify
Tools

desirable 98 Mauser actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been collecting various Mauser actions for years. If you can buy them right, do you think that these are a good investment?
Commercial Mauser Oberndorf
1935 Chilean
1935 Brazilian
1933 Argentine Police
1934 Standard Modell
1935 Persin
VZ 33, G33 40
Brno 21/22, ZG47
FN, single C cut

I also have numerous rifles from Shul guild makers on Oberndorf actions that are mostly commercial actions. Will these continue to go up in value???

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they're all original, have the crests, aren't pitted/rusted, and haven't been Bubba'd in any way, you'll never lose money on them. Provided, of course, that you bought them right.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Leonard, I like your list and I'd add the 1909 Peruvian.
As Craigster states, if you can buy clean actions or complete rifles at a small fraction of the cost to replicate them it's difficult to envision how one would lose money over time.

In a distressed sale without the benefit of time, you could get hurt though.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your list is quite comprehensive, I also buy 98 actions / rifles if the action has not been played with. You could add the FN Supreme large ring and the small ring - the small ring is quite rare. If you can't stand the alloy bottom metal any standard lenght steel one will work, I replaced mine with a cleaned up military type. FWIW --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more desirables:

24/30 Venezuelan (FN)
1908 Brazil, DWM
1910 and 1936 Mexicans

More common and still reasonable are the VZ24s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I always ask this, can you all please post pics of these different actions and their crests?

why doesn't the 09 argentine make the list? I had a 08 brazilian, gorgeous crest, and got rid of it Mad should have kept it and dumped the argies.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 09 DWM Argentine should make the list as well. However, nice ones are still much more plentiful than most of the rest on the list.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Would it be a safe bet to add the 1950 mauser on to this list?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forest, I too like the 1909 Peruvian as well. I buy even those that are a bit rough. Every action I have ever sent off to be turned into a custom rifle has been trued and most metal smiths want to true the front receiver ring for application of custom bases, I alluded to on another thread.They are going to contour the rear receiver ring and stone the action as well. I see no reason to send a perfect example off to be treated that way, therefore, I also buy these misfits. Often they are the best ones to make into customs.Most of the worst pitting is under the stock line anyway. I know its pedigree going in, it makes me feel better knowing that it is a premium action under a little rust and corrosion. It is nice to see that Orberndorf logo on the left side wall, but not all of the Orberndorf actions carry those marks. How does one tell the pedigree of the Shul actions? I was told by Burgess that most of the Shul trade actions were original Mauser actions.???

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question is, what is "right" for each of those actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I know I always ask this, can you all please post pics of these different actions and their crests?

why doesn't the 09 argentine make the list? I had a 08 brazilian, gorgeous crest, and got rid of it Mad should have kept it and dumped the argies.

The Argies are desirable, but more for the bottom metal than other reasons. BTW, I have a primo '08 DWM Brazilian if you might be interested in replacing the one you dumped.