New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you seen this problem with a Win pre-64
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw a problem last year with my Pre-64 winchester, and I didn't realize it until this year. Last year on a elk hunt my gun did not work right. When I lifted the bolt the gun did not stay cocked. It never did it again during warm weather. I thought it was a fluke. This last week on a elk hunt it did it again several times. But when the gun warmed up it works fine. The temp was about 15 to 20 degrees when it didn't work. I watched it as I worked the bolt. When I rotated the bolt the "hammer" eased forward. What does a guy need to do to fix this? Thanks Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Maybe the lube you're using is staring to freeze at the lower temps gumming things up? You could try to clean the bolt & fireing pin assembly real good and relube with a graphite product and see if it does it again.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sear is gummed with old oil or the sear spring is weak. It's also possible that the trigger spring is adjusted wrong or defective.

How light is the trigger pull now?

In any case remove the stock and clean the sear, it's just above the trigger, with a solvent and reoil with a synthetic oil.

If the trigger pull is less than three pounds adjust it back to that weight.

Here are instructions on the trigger. www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.htm

Now put the barreled action in a freezer or if it's going down to 10F tonight in the locked trunk of your car. Now try it.

When the stock is back on you should test it again when it's really cold outside.

You might as well clean the firing pin and bolt with a solvent as well and oil as suggested.

Get back to us on how it worked out and don't forget to look at the trigger carefully and do the safety drop test.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote