New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 magazine conversion
 Login/Join

<Sawblade>
posted
Is it possible (or feasible) to convert a detachable magazine to a hinged floor plate. I would like to build a custom gun from a 700 mountain rifle but I hate the detachable magazine.

<jd_1>
posted
Yes, but you will have to change stocks also unless you don't mind the cut outs for magazine showing. If you decide to do this I would be interested in the detachable magazine parts you remove if it is a long action.

<Sawblade>
posted
Sorry, it's a short action. Yes, I was planning on changing stocks. When you say it can be done, what all will be involved? Will the bolt holes match up or will it have to be modified. Or is it just as simple as removing the detachable mag and replacing with the floor plate?

Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me know what you want for your short action parts after you get through with the conversion - thanks.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The brownells catalog has complete floorplate, magazine follower and spring kits for this conversion. Everything will line up just fine. Should take you 15 minutes at most. -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
robgunbuilder,
That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks guys!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the gun is a factory detatchable magazine model this can't be done very easily.The 700's that come with detachable magazines have no feed rails and will not feed without them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper is right; this is not a brainless conversion. In addition to the new stock and parts you have to buy, you have to fake rails. I did this by bending in the top edge of the magazine box to make fake rails (a new "pretend" detachable magazine). This turned into a trial and error process.

Since I'm not much of a craftsman, it isn't pretty but it works. It should probably be taken to a craftsman/gunsmith to re-do it.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. I would buy the regular magazine/floorplate model and throw away the laminated stock.

Will

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote