New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 .416 Rem Mag mods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it generally recommended that the magazine spring and the extractor be replaced on one of the new Model 70's to make it truly reliable? Mine needs a bit of work to improve the feeding and thought I'd get these replaced at the same time. Seems like PME used to make replacement extractors. Anyone know of a source for them now?

Any other mods you'd recommend? The rifle shoots great and overall I'm very pleased with it.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has them here

Just scroll down the page.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 416 fed and functioned fine right out of the box. I did replace the aluminum follower with a steel Remington (gasp) version and the mag spring with a stronger one.

Recently, I also replaced the extractor with a Gunrunner steel extractor.

It still functions and feeds like it should but now I sleep a little better at night. [Big Grin]

Note: The Gunrunner extractor as it comes, is rough and needs a bit of polishing and fitting. Lots of heat treating scale and grinding marks. Also the back side of it had a bunch of rough machining marks that looked like a good place for a break to start. I ground and polished them out also.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
My rifle is factory as far as I can tell (I bought it used)and it feeds and extracts great. It is a pain to get the extractor over a shell put directly in the chamber (I like doing that in some situations rather than feeding from the magazine). Would a Gunrunner or other modification allow the extractor to go over the rim on closing without losing any reliability in extraction?

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gunrunner extractors "hook" is pretty much the same shape as the factory piece. I was careful not to change the shape any or remove any metal but just sanded and polished out the grinder marks. It slips over a chambered shell fairly easily now.

Actually I just went through the whole song and dance of smoothing up another Gunrunner extractor for a 338 Sporter LT. It works great also.

And, by the way, both extractors would drop right in and work just the way they arrived. They just looked and felt rough.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote