New
Find
Notify
Tools

gunsmith/rebore recommedation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seeking recommendations for gunsmith and barrel rebore shop.
The project is a Ruger RSM .458 Lott conversion to 495 A-Square.
I have dies, CH4D, brass, bullets, dummy rounds and a chamber reamer on order, Pacific Tool.
The big Ruger has the correct magazine size, will require bolt face relief, extractor adj, follower relief, barrel bore and chamber ream.
Some shops don't respond to email inquiries, some are months out on orders, some say don't call, etc. It's ugly out there.

Posts: 57 | Location: Santa Rosa, California USA | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
had great luck with danny Pedersen at cutrifle in Prescott AZ.... on time and good price...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny is also about 6 mo. out...

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell of Clearwater Reboring. in Washington State.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If you want the rebore for hunting dangerous game, you might consider the "Lessons learned at the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam". They found all bolt-action Rugers unreliable and any rifle (even a Mauser) converted to another calibre likely to give trouble.

Some of the report lacked objectivity IMHO, but I'd certainly give it a look:

http://www.africahunting.com/f...roficiency-exam.html

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES in Oregon. They told me last week they were less than 3 weeks to rebore, chamber, etc and get it back in the mail to me. That was a shot out 25 caliber barrel to 338 and chamber for the 338 Edge.

As far as the RSM reliability issue, When I hunted with Myles McCallum (sp?)of CM Safaris for buff in Zim, December of 2008; he backed me with his well worn RSM in 458 Lott. He was out of ammunition for his RSM in 416 Rigby from paying the insurance for various clients during 2008..

Between the two rifles he had accounted for over a hundred Buff and Ele, pretty much equal numbers and considered it his most reliable pair of rifles for DG.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Jim Dubell of Clearwater Reboring. in Washington State.

+1

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High Plains Reboring- Norman Johnson did a barrel for me. Sent it in March of 2011 got it back March 2012. Yeah it took a while but the workmanship was good.

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote