New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith recommendations.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who's your favorite smith for accuracy/reliablity/alterations? I'm not concerned with wood work/engraving, etc., just the meat and potatoes. Please give details on work done, price and contact info. Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see all the great gunsmiths present on this forum not wanting to vote for themselves but where are all the pleased customers??? I'm getting a little nervous!! [Big Grin]

Please share who you think does really nice work with your Rem 700 or Win 70 in terms of accuracy and reliability and include their contact info if you have it handy. Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
Just to be fair to all the gunsmiths on this board. I have only tried one.

JBelk rebarreled a CZ 527 into a 6mm cheapshot for me. I feel he went above and beyond what I paid him for. I am very pleased with his work.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't know if John Ricks is taking on new work yet, but I can highly recomend him.

I had him re-chamber a 35 whelen AI VZ-24 to a 350 Rigby, and open up the bolt. The rifle shoots much better with the re-chamber, and the work was reasonably priced @ $100.

I also had John barrel a P-14 enfield to a 500 Jeffrey. I've only had a chance to shoot it once, but it sure seems like a shooter. Can't really comment on the price, as there was alot of horse trading involved, and I came out well ahead on the trading. I just need to get off my butt, and put the gun in a decent stock so I can see what it'll really do.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest Bruce at "Flint-N-Frizzen" (one man shop) in Clarkston MI, but be prepaired to wait for a few months, as he does only one job at a time and normaly has 100-250 jobs sitting on the rack awaiting his undivided attention.
There's also Al Seigrest up in Prescott MI, another one man shop, last I talked to him he was getting ready to do some work that he had taken in a year ago (gun show repairs).

Both of these guys make their living doing gunsmithing only (no firearm or accesories sales to speak of) and have been in the busness for over 30 years.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I used Norm Myers at Heritage Custom Arms in Georgia to build a rife last year and am very pleased with the work, especially when the price gets factored in. He supplied a VZ 24 action, contoured the bridge, lapped the lugs, trued the face, lowered the tang surface, checkered new bolt handle, installed commercial shroud, installed timney trigger, installed Leupold bases, glass bedded in a B&C stock, Douglas 24" barrel for under $1000. He supplied all the hardware by the way, no extras for me to pick up. He's got a web site at http://www.heritagecustomarms.com , didn't see any of his checkering work so can't comment on that.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like what High Performance Gunsmiths have done for me. Sent them a couple rifles for work and I have been impressed with their common sense approach.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I have used Gre'-Tan rifles in Colorado. Greg does awesome work.

http://gtrtooling.com

[ 04-09-2003, 00:53: Message edited by: dogcatcher223 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt and David at Hill Country Rifles do excellent work. They have done three rifles for me, either complete or re-barrels and they are outstanding. www.hcrifle.com

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hill country rifle did my first work accurizing my .300 win 700. just got back from the range with the 3rd hanload i shoved 3 180 trophy bonded bear claws in almost the same hole. that gun has never done that before. no excuses now! i mistakingly told my friends!!!!!!!

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote