THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Martini & falling block actions: accuracy potential - is it restricted?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini & falling block actions: accuracy potential - is it restricted?
 Login/Join

Picture of tikkathree
posted
Hi guys, I have old martini action rifles which despite their age and associated wear & tear, full length stocks and military spec chambers, still shoot pretty well.
Though I know of new rifles being made with falling block/rolling block actions, I don't know of any being manufactured with the martini action - though I'll bet there are plenty around the world with replacement barrels. (Yes? No?) Confused
Anyway, dispensing with side issues related to non-floating barrels which could be got around, is there any reason why a non-bolt action shouldn't be equally as accurate as the bolt action? After all, accuracy seems to be a function of the precision of the engineering involved in barrel, chamber and action lock-up. (putting aside issues arising from the quality of the ammunition). stir

Posts: 6 | Location: Merrie England | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a BSA Model 12 which started life as a .22 LR and was rechambered to .22 Hornet. Shoots sub-MOA with the original LR barrel.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I f you haven't already, go over here and sign up:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/index.htm

check out the martini forum, there's a lot of good info available.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tikkathree:

Anyway, dispensing with side issues related to non-floating barrels which could be got around, is there any reason why a non-bolt action shouldn't be equally as accurate as the bolt action? After all, accuracy seems to be a function of the precision of the engineering involved in barrel, chamber and action lock-up. (putting aside issues arising from the quality of the ammunition). stir

Aside from the accuracy related issues created by using 2 piece stocks, that "action lock-up" you mention is probably what will keep these types of guns from reaching the level of precision accuracy that the bolt action guns enjoy due to their one piece stocks and uniform locking bolts. But that shouldn't stop you from pursuing great accuracy with your Martini. I have seen some very accurate Martini's. In fact I've drank a few that have hit the spot! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of tikkathree
posted Hide Post
I f you haven't already, go over here and sign up:

I'm there - thank you.

Picture of tikkathree
posted Hide Post
Westpac said:
(snipped)
quote:
side from the accuracy related issues created by using 2 piece stocks,[quote]

Yes, but you needn't have a 2-piece stock, just because that's the way they were made a hundred years ago. What would be wrong with some kind of bar forming a fore end, fixed to the front of the action and above which the barrel could free-float?

[quote] that "action lock-up" you mention is probably what will keep these types of guns from reaching the level of precision accuracy that the bolt action guns enjoy due to their one piece stocks and uniform locking bolts.[quote]

Now we're getting to it: why couldn't a rolling block/falling block be built to modern close tolerances?

[quote] But that shouldn't stop you from pursuing great accuracy with your Martini. I have seen some very accurate Martini's. In fact I've drank a few that have hit the spot!

Cheers! Yep that's why I'm a-wondering just how much accuracy could be built into a non-bolt action.
clap

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tikkathree:
Yes, but you needn't have a 2-piece stock, just because that's the way they were made a hundred years ago. What would be wrong with some kind of bar forming a fore end, fixed to the front of the action and above which the barrel could free-float?

Yes that would isolate the barrel.

quote:
"that "action lock-up" you mention is probably what will keep these types of guns from reaching the level of precision accuracy that the bolt action guns enjoy due to their one piece stocks and uniform locking bolts."

Now we're getting to it: why couldn't a rolling block/falling block be built to modern close tolerances?

Because of the way they lock up, they are still vulnerable to springing under load which does nothing for accuracy. If you could get the block to lock uniformly on all sides of the cartridge, you might have something. Think Artillery piece. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
IOn the 1950's and into at least the early 1960's, I know of several Army smallbore rifle teams that were using BSA Martini .22 match rifles such as those imported by Al Freeland.

I have shot a few of these, a few Win. M52's, and several Anschutz match rifles. NONE could beat those Martinis!! I would love to own one of them today!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote