New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tools for English Flat Top Checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to checker a Lee Speed with the tradition English falt top checkering. I have a copy of the orginal pattern however need a source for cutters or complete tool.

I've gone through Monty Kennedy's book and see limited reference. Saw a great checkering job on Double Gun by James Tucker.

If any body has a source or advice on making tooling for this I greatly appreciate you posting it and if possible a picture or two.

Cheers,

Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron; I have on several occassions either did / refurbished flat top checkering. I use 60 degree cutters most times. When I want absolute flat, old fashioned checkering I use a 30 to 40 teeth per inch hacksaw, which can be purchased at hobby stores. Somtimes I do both, use the hack saw and the just touch the diamonds with the 60 degree. Layout of the pattern, diamonds etc. is the same as the sharp checkering. My preference is the flat type as you hardly hides the grain of the stock. --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,
In an old box of checkering tools I got off ebay a long time ago was a shop made tool that appeared to be a section of scroll saw blade soldered to a thin screwdriver. Visualize a modern replaceable cutter type checkering tool with a 1/2" section of scroll saw blade soldered in place of the modern cutter. That would make the straight sided, flat bottom cuts you are looking for. It was rusted beyond use so I tossed it. I didn't think of it at the time but it was probably just what you were looking for. Most of the old-time wood scratchers made their own tools so this might be something for you to make up.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last few posts in this thread discuss flat top checkering and the tools needed, apparently they are all handmade.

Flat top tools

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One certaianly can make his own tools, never thought of doing what Mike describes - a good idea. The 60 degree cutters I purchase from Brownells along with the handles required to hold them and as I said earlier the fine tooth hacksaw from a local wood hobbyist store. A plus with the saw is that it is about 5 inches long and I often use it to straighten wayward lines.---John303