New
Find
Notify
Tools

REMINGTON 700 SAFETY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any ideas on why the safety on my 700 has become really stiff or harder to move? This is a well taken care of rifle. THANKS!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Have you checked to see if the stock has swollen where the safety lever enters the stock? Is the trigger mechanism free of oil that might have turned gummy? If its a synthetic stock,could the action have shifted in the bedding? Just a few semi educated guesses.There are several top flite gunsmiths on this forum that will know for sure.
Good luck

[ 12-03-2003, 03:06: Message edited by: covey16 ]

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 700 safety has a design flaw that renders it extremely hazardous under certain conditions. If I had one that showed any tendancies at all to operate improperly, I would spend my money on replacing the trigger/safety with an aftermarket trigger rather than paying a gunsmith to fix a potentially unsafe design.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, the flaw is in the trigger and not the safety. But the flaw is real and although rare, it can be deadly and renders the safety into a trigger.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that what he said? [Smile]

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Stonecreek, the flaw is in the trigger and not the safety. But the flaw is real and although rare, it can be deadly and renders the safety into a trigger.

Let me restate that, then:

The Remington 700 trigger/safety UNIT has a design flaw that renders it extremely hazardous under certain conditions. If I had one that showed any tendancies at all to operate improperly, I would spend my money on replacing the trigger/safety UNIT with an aftermarket UNIT rather than paying a gunsmith to WORK ON a potentially unsafe design.

Better now? [Wink]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good, lol. Go to the head of the class. BTW if you use a Timney trigger, you will take the safety off the old UNIT as it is perfectly all right and put it on the new trigger and then install it. They are a piece of cake to install also.

[ 12-04-2003, 00:49: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys. This rifle was Remingtons first model synthetic stainless (blind magazine, mountain countour barrel) and is accurate with trigger adjusted to 3 pounds. The stock can't swell and there isn't any gummy oil on the trigger so that eliminates a couple of possible problems. I was thinking about changing triggers with a Timney but I don't want the stock the stock safety. Any other suggestions? THANKS!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wiktork, the safety that comes to mind is a 3 position ala winchester model 70 but it will set you back close to $200 when the dust settles. Ed LaPour makes one as does a few other folks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wiktor:
... This rifle was Remingtons first model synthetic stainless (blind magazine, mountain countour barrel) ... Any other suggestions? THANKS!

Hey wiktor, First off, there is No Design Flaw in the factory Remington Trigger. The problems that are occasionally attributed to it can be seen on any trigger from any manufacturer.

Only three things can go wrong with the trigger mechanism and these three things apply to all trigger designs:

1. They can be misadjusted.
2. They can have trash and/or improper lubrication interfere with proper functioning.
3. They can have broken or worn parts.

That is it!

My recommendation would be to go to your "local" Remington Repair Center (which can be located in your Owner's Manual or their web site) and have the Certified Gunsmith take a look at whatever has caused the Safety on your excellent Remington rifle to become harder to operate. It may be something as simple as a piece of trash or powder residue that you can't see inside on the Safety shaft, a small burr or whatever.

I have one similar to yours in 7mmRemMag. I sure do like that Blind Magazine. Darn shame all of mine don't have it.

[ 12-04-2003, 03:42: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I'm editting my post to avoid an arguement. I'm doing so within minutes of posting the original.

Just be aware that debris in the Remington trigger can be a much greater hazard than in many other brand triggers.

[ 12-04-2003, 05:37: Message edited by: BW ]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Hey, I have another Rem 700 safety ?? for you fine folks. I have only one M700 and it'a a BDL in .338. I picked it up the first year they put out a BDL in .338 - mid to late 80's I believe. I put a Timney on it quite a few years ago. As long as I can recall, when the safety is on, the bolt still operates. But then, I handled one the other day, and the bolt stays locked closed when the safety is on. Is mine screwed up?

I certainly is a PIA when traveling thru heavy brush with the rifle shouldered and the safety on, then finding out the bolt is open and you've dropped one on the ground somewhere. What gives?

Personally, I like my Winchester and Ruger much better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars, I don't know the dates but the "original" remington 700's had a safety that had to be off when the bolt was being cycled, ie to unload. That was changed at some point to where you could unload the rifle with the safety on. I have some of both and the scenerio you outlined has never happened. If I had to make a choice, I'd pick the one that locks the bolt when the safety is on. But then, I learned to only point my rifle in a safe manner and to keep my finger off the trigger until I was ready to shoot at a very early age. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars, I think I'd avoid the trees. [Smile] Honestly though, you really must be dragging that thing through the brush to have the bolt come open. I've drug my rifles through some serious sh** and never had that happen.

As for the safety, there's nothing with your action as the last gentlmen put it. I think Remington changed the 700's in 82 to where you could open the bolt with the safety on. It might not be 82, but it's not important, I know that as of 83, you could open the bolt.

[ 12-05-2003, 03:17: Message edited by: Kingfisher ]

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,that is not quite true,the replacement Rifle Basic is worse design for debris getting in and jamming.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lars G:
...Is mine screwed up? ...

Hey Lars, As the other folks have pointed out, there is nothing wrong with your rifle. Remington made a Design Change which allows you to cycle cartridges through the action with the Safety ON.

As to addressing your concern:

1. Any "real" Gunsmith can modify yours so it works like they used to prior to the modification.
2. If you reload and you "are not" hunting Dangerous Game, back your Full Length Resizing Die out of the Press just enough so the Bolt closes on the Case with a bit of resistance. Basically you are now Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR). This creates Zero headspace and that small amount of resistance will keep your Bolt from coming open without you being aware of something pulling against it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Hot Core said:
quote:
This creates Zero headspace and that small amount of resistance will keep your Bolt from coming open without you being aware of something pulling against it.
I generally adjust my dies for "zero headspace", but this is an aspect of adjusting your resizing die as you suggested that had never occurrred to me. Good tip! Thanks!