Find
Notify
Tools

And the award for the crudest gun goes to
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted
Many years ago, when I was a Widdle Gun Plumber, I quietly gave the Russians my own personal trophy for being able to build the crudest firearm in the world. I guess I have to call Putin and see if that nasty little Cossack will give it back so I can send it to Turkey now. If you blow up the picture you can see that only after a year, the firing pins are peening over, the mainspring rods are bent and there are chips torn out of the sears. No comment on the fit and finish.

Turkish Shotgun by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks strikingly like the 1907 Iver Johnson I am currently trying to restore.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say, but I think the FP-45 Liberator, beats the Russkie, hands down.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we are talking about crude guns thought I might add this one. its a 410 2 1/2 inch shotgun. The barrel is wire wrapped and the receiver and barrel are made from layers of sheet metal pinned together. It does chamber a shell but I am not brave enough to pull the trigger.
Found it in a small gun shop in town 20 years ago

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
What make is the shotgun?

I suppose it is a Baikal double shotgun, which seemed to have a reputation for durability and value here, despite its looks. I guess those looking for a cheap-and-cheerful DB rifle should be wary.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Speer's shotgun is Turkish; not Russian. They have varying levels of quality, depending on the factory. No need to be wary of Baikals; do not start rumors. I have owned several of them.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
What make is the shotgun?

It's a Turkish made Mossberg Maverick over under. I've been inside the high grade Turkish guns too and they are not that great either. Nothing as bad as this of course, but I wouldn't stamp Cooey on the outside of them for fear of insulting Cooey ! LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I bought myself a left hand Turkish made semi-auto 12G earlier this year halfway through our gamebird season. It is an Akkar Atlay 3" five shot gas operated gun apparently made on German built machinery using Italian steel in the fabrication of the guns.
Very well made, everything polished and finished as well as any Japanese Miroku/Browning/Winchester gun I have seen (I have a superb Miroku O/U Sporter 7000), or any USA made gun or rifle on the market.

The Akkar shoots very well. The set of invector chokes that come with the gun are finished to a very high grade, I vouch that they could not be distinguished from the highest grade custom chokes, in fact compared to the invector chokes I have for the Miroku O/U the Akkar ones are faultless.

Will the Akkar last as long and look as good as as my Miroku after 35 years of use? Remains to be seen but at least it looks good now and performs well and anyway I won't be around in another 35 years.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote