New
Find
Notify
Tools

95 Mauser in 6.5x55 Project gun -- need advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A pawn shop find. A project gun: 95 mauser, rebarreled with a Swede 38 barrel in 6.5x55 and cut down to 19 inches.Stocked in a not-quite-right-but-close-enuff, schnabel "drop in". Had old Redfield sidemounted receiver peep sights and a front sight I couldn't ID.
Took it to the range and it showed some promise. Bedded it. Put in a Dayton-Traister cock on opening trigger. Added a Merit adjustable peep aperture and NECG 3/32" fiber optic front. Wow! Shoots great. Half inch groups at 50 meters, even tho the front sight subtends about 5 inches at that distance... and both sight and target look all fuzzy to my aged eyes.

It's potential accuracy begs for a better sighting arrangement. And my eyes need something quicker - just can't see the sight fast enought to hunt with it. Maybe a Leupold Ultra Light 3x9 by 33?

I still want to keep the lightweight, handiness of it.

What do y'all recommend?

Especially, I need advice on what kind of mounts. If I mount a scope what rear sight (back up) options do I have.

And, I'm looking for bottom metal. Preferably alloy for weight savings.

Since the recvr has already been drilled and tapped on the side and has some severe pitting on the top of the front ring, D&T-ing for scope mounts wouldn't be stupid, would it?

Thanks.

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe check out this on eBay? The guy is in FL so nearer to you than me and it's gone past my maximum bid: Item 220520082716

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That would be a possibility. But it looks a little bulky and heavy for my purposes. Wish I could see it in person. Anyway, I think the bidding is ended.

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd be inclined to use a 2X7 on a short handy rifle such as yours, or even a 1.5X5.

IMHO more shots are lost because you can't find the animal in the 2 seconds you get, than needing 9 power to help place a shot.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote