New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the proper counterbore?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am about to undertake my first pillar bedding adventure, and I have a some adjustable pillar kits from Score Hi gunsmithing.

My question is the piloted counterbore, I believe a 9/16" is recommended, but I am wondering what the proper pilot size is for a Winchester Model 70?

I am bedding two rifles. First one will be a test installation before I tackle a pretty fancy one.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a matter of choice as to the type of rifle I suppose, bench guns seem to have deeper crowns and sporters less..Its a personal thing and any agruement over it would be useless IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, take that 9/16ths counter bore and run it into your muzzle to get the crown you want. Since 9/16ths is .5625, make sure your barrel is bigger than that; otherwise you get a flat crown.
Yes I know you are pillar bedding; a task with which I no longer bother.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Roberts:
I am about to undertake my first pillar bedding adventure, and I have a some adjustable pillar kits from Score Hi gunsmithing.

My question is the piloted counterbore, I believe a 9/16" is recommended, but I am wondering what the proper pilot size is for a Winchester Model 70? I am bedding two rifles. First one will be a test installation before I tackle a pretty fancy one.

Maybe my reading ain't so good any more?? As I read it,
Big enough to get plenty of epoxy between pillar & stock. tu2 dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yep, take that 9/16ths counter bore and run it into your muzzle to get the crown you want. Since 9/16ths is .5625, make sure your barrel is bigger than that; otherwise you get a flat crown.
Yes I know you are pillar bedding; a task with which I no longer bother.

Pillars? I'm with you...havent seen one bit of advantage and it weakens the stock at it's most vulnerable point

But. if carrying an apple in your pocket makes you feel betteer....carry that apple!

Posts: 3503 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, now that we are actually talking about pillars and not barrel muzzle crowning, I am with DW; pillars are useless.
But if you have to; just measure your pillar. Drill the hole bigger. You're done. Don't overthink it.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, now that we are actually talking about pillars and not barrel muzzle crowning, I am with DW; pillars are useless.
But if you have to; just measure your pillar. Drill the hole bigger. You're done. Don't overthink it.

rotflmo tu2

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Roberts:

My question is the piloted counterbore, I believe a 9/16" is recommended, but I am wondering what the proper pilot size is for a Winchester Model 70? I am bedding two rifles. First one will be a test installation before I tackle a pretty fancy one.

Maybe my reading ain't so good any more?? As I read it,
Big enough to get plenty of epoxy between pillar & stock. tu2 dancing

I think "your" reading is just fine. And yep!

Posts: 41856 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No disrespect intended.........but you guys don't really build rifles for ultimate accuracy.......

A well bedded rifle, with pillars. Will make for a more accurate rifle. It all depends on what you are building and what the final intent is.

Posts: 41856 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have, for the last forty-five years, been casting acraglas pillars of 9/16 to 5/8 inch diameter, in the stock. I don't like aluminum pillars. I don't pillar glass stocks Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never felt comfortable using flat topped aluminum pillars due to the reduction of contact to a single point. However, shaping the pillar to match the action diameter is an option as long as you can get them oriented properly.

I have been using glass stocks with aluminum bedding blocks for some time now. While many recommend skim bedding these blocks, I have not found that necessary. I prefer to build a rifle more accurate than required. That minimizes any complaints from the St. Vitus dance crowd when they get nervous before an important shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For quite a while now I have been boring out the stock for pillars in my Bridgeport. It is a simple operation to level and then locate the hole placement. I have made a boring bar of the correct diameter needed and simply put it in my drill chuck and bore out the stock. If a round bottom action is used, I turn the pillars to fit and bore the ends to match the action radius.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote