New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar Walther Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I asked this before, but buried in another thread. Does Lothar Walther sell directly. Who is a big distributor/source for purchase? Also, are their chambered barrels long or short chambered or will they supply either?

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Art,

http://www.lothar-walther.com/us/index.html

They will take your money directly. [Wink]

A gunsmith I know and whose work I trust has told me that their chambered barrels are good and properly dimensioned. I am sure the gunsmiths here will comment on their barrels too.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L-W sells long chambered, pre-threaded barrels for Mauser 98s, in a couple of contours and lengths. They are cheap (~$160) but reportedly of great quality (I haven't shot mine yet).

Woody Woodall is a member here, and he is their agent in the US. The headquarters is in Cummings, GA. I'd try finding an e-mail for him in his profile.

www.lothar-walther.de

HTH,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased 5 or 6 through Brownell's a their discount, and LW will not quote me prices via email, so I don't know yet if they are as cheap directly.
As soon as we get some more shooting, I will find out if the one "wonder barrel" I have shot is an anomaly. It does not loose accuracy when hot!

>Dear Mr. Magnuson,

>You can order directly from us at Lothar Walther >Precision Tools, Inc.

>770-889-9998.

>Sincerely,

>Woody Woodall

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lothar-Walthar Barrals are the greatest thing since white bread and popcorn were discovered..

I have used a dozen of them and personally know of about 20 or so more and they have ALL been wonder barrels, all under an inch and that is unreal....

I know that Jack Belk, Bill Dowtin, and Jim Brockman agree with that and I supose they are gaining new groupies daily as delivery is getting longer and longer from my first days of ordering them....much to my dismay, don't know why I keep pimping them as it creates a problem for me but I like Woody and he has a great product...One has to share things like this, to do otherwise would be plumb common!

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can not go wrong with a Lothar Walter barrel.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith once told me they are very good and he prefer to work with them

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a response back from LW. Their barrels, in steel not stainless, run $282 to $307 chambered, threaded and crowned. Price depends on the length of the cartridge. The contoured blanks are $192.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The small selection of tapered blanks at Brownell's are $189.40 retail and ~20% off for gunsmiths.

It sounds like LW direct wants retail prices, just like Shilen, while Brownell's will give me a deal.

I wonder how many barrels I would have to buy at once from LW to get a discount?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
A few years back I sent a copt of my FFL to LW and was told I would get 20% off. As of yet I have not needed a barrel so can not say if it is still there policy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,
Most barrel makers will not undercut the gunsmiths to whom they sell barrels, and consider THEM as their customers. That's their bread and butter.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted the price as a reference point for everyone. I had seen a price of "around $130" thrown around all over this website. That sounded like an incredible deal, and I wondered why they weren't the dominant barrel supplier, with their reputation. I think the price is about right for a premium barrel, but I wanted to update everyone as to what the real price was. One bad thing about the internet is that a small piece of info, correct or not, can be perpetuated to the status of truth and common knowledge, just by repeating it often enough.

<hsp223>
posted
I just recieved my LW barrel and it cost about 160.00. It was prethreaded contoured and long chambered for a mauser M98. This is a standard item for LW. They have a list of calibers for the M98 and they all cost about 160.00 If you buy just the barrel and have it threaded and chambered for a different rifle then the cost will be higher.
Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
The quote I received was for three barrels, all in standard contours and all in standard calibers as listed in their charts on their webstite. All threaded for a 98 Mauser action. Don't know why the difference.