THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green Mountain barrels - anyone use them?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ran into these guys are SHOT, liked their 10-22 rigs, took home the brochure, got to reading it finally and noticed they offer some VERY competitively priced barrel blanks. Single point cut, CrMo, a 35" blank, 1.27"OD was about $150 ....

Problem is, I have never heard of this brand. Has anybody here heard of them or used them?

Thanks!

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make good barrels at good prices.

Their Ruger 10/22 barrels will have close to the accuracy of the much more costly Volquartsen, Shilen, and Lilja barrels.

They are the barrel of choice in 10/22s as far as bang for the buck goes.

Those who have shot the GMs in their 10/22s and compared to other expensive brands in the same setup have said the accuracy differences are very little, 0.25 MOA or less difference.

The thing about them is while they make good barrels, they lack the very very fine finishing of the more expensive ones, the bores aren't lapped, and they're not air guaged.

I guess I'd say that unless this is going to be a match rifle then the GM would be a fine choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I installed one of their octogon .25 cal barrels on BSA Martini Cadet recently. It's very nice but if you're looking at an octogon barrel be preparred for hours of draw filing to remove the machine marks from the flats. I also have (but not yet installed) one of their round BP ctg barrels in 38/55 and the finish is good enough, with some polishing, for installation.
Get info on the barrel finish before purchase, otherwise I think they are a good deal...especially the octogon barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been using the GM barrels on single shot rifles for a while now and have been very pleased with the quality. The great thing is they offer reasonably priced octagon barrels that you can actually get when you order them. I have one on my personal High Wall BP silhouette rifle that is as accurate as any such rifle I have ever used.

Do expect to spend some quality time with a draw file, but no more than other machined octagon barrels.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Green Mountain barrels are one I've been meaning to try. Good info. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 10/22. It shoots very well, and the cost is far below what the other people are asking for a similar quality barrel.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
I installed one of their octogon .25 cal barrels on BSA Martini Cadet recently.

Jon,
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. How much did your barrel weigh? Have you done any shooting thru it?
Thanks!

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know how much it weighs but it's a fairly light barrel. I believe it's dimensions are for re-barreling old, shot out, black powder lever action rifles. The round part at the breech end (tenon) is just right for the small Martini but leaves no room lengthwise for "screw-ups when threading. Also, after doing a couple of these I've found the fit is much better when a 55deg Whitworth thread is cut instead of the usual 60deg. It takes a couple minuets to grind a tool but it's worth it. As I recal the barrel as received was about 26.5" long and I only shortened it 0.5" and crowned. The rifle ballances nicely and fires but I'm still working on the stock/sights so I have no accuracy comments yet.
The only other experience I have with Green Mtn. is a 38/55 barrel (round) that I put on a Rolling Block action and it's very accurate.
I got the barrel from Brownell's. I don't have the catelog handy but if the weight is'nt listed I'm sure a phone call to them would get an answer.
I think the octogon barrel on the Martini looks great...very classy. But, if you get one "finished" like mine was get ready for some draw filing. My thumbs are still numb!

(p.s. If you like the ctg. I can make you a good deal on a once used and like new, PTG .256 Win. reamer.)

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that GM barrels are better and cheaper than Shilen CM barrels.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
(p.s. If you like the ctg. I can make you a good deal on a once used and like new, PTG .256 Win. reamer.)

Jon

Jon,
The offer's tempting and I think it'd be dandy on a 92 or small Marlin, but I'm planning on going with a longer cartridge, using 5.6x50R brass. Thanks for the tips on using the barrel, especially the thread pitch. PS: Per Brownell's, the barrel is 3.5 lbs in 30 caliber. I'd likely chop mine back a few inches, so the weight is reasonable.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .30 cal. on a 5.6x50R case sounds like a nice choice. I have a friend that has a .222R in a Cadet action and it's a nice combo. The
.30 cal. bullets will be longer though so (if you haven't already tried it) you might consider making a "dummy" round just to make sure it will fit.
I just remembered another problem I had with my last Martini project. The primer's extruded into the firing pin hole when first test fired. The pin hole was .095" so I TIG'd it and re-drilled to 0.62". This almost fixed it but the "real" problem was a weak striker spring. Some of those striker springs are OLD and probably sat in storage cocked for many years. Something to watch for.
Good luck with your project...

Jon