New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Happened to Wichita Rifles??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For a while, these rifles were reputedly some of the most accurate and pricey rifles available outside of full custom jobs. So what happened to them - and were they as good as I remember hearing?? They made BR rifles as well as hunting and varmint rifles, or what?? Any stories about Wichita rifles you have owned or worked with? Actions, barrels, stocks, finish, the lot...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I won a cast bullet U.S. National Championship in 1997 with a 1.375 single-shot Wichita action, Harris barrel, Jewell trigger, Weaver scope and Adamowicz stock.

Even now that gun will still shoot groups regularly in the .2's, occasional .1's, and once in every great while the fabulous .0's. I hope nothing has happened to Wichita.

A GOOD 3-lug action, but a bit heavy. Still, while the other currently more popular actions sell for $950 and up, the Wichita action was selling new in the $675 range the last I heard.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha, so maybe I was misinformed about their demise - or maybe I simply assumed as much, given a lack of information?? So Wichita rifles/actions should still be available?
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's their web page, looks like they aren't making rifles anymore.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The website was new to me - I wonder why Google did not return that link?? In any event, it does indeed look like they have discontinued all their rifle models . The rifle pictures look exactly like the pics I remember seeing maybe 10-12 years ago. Pity they are no longer making them!
- mike

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Not only does the website not show their rifles anymore, it doesn't have any actions on the price list that I could find.

Very interesting to me, as the actions I and two of my close friends use are not shown in the schematics, either.

For one thing, the shape of the actions shown appears different. The "trigger hanger" is definitely different. The trigger hanger on the 1.375"-BR actions, which we use, has only one screw to hold it to the receiver, not two. The other end of the trigger hanger on our actions "keys" into an undercut in the end of the slot on the bottom side of the action (into which the trigger & trigger hanger are seated).

Too bad they're apparently gone. They were very good actions where weight was not a dire concern. Now I'm gonna have to scrape together the $1-Large my buddy wants for his used 1.375 BR rifle-----

Thanks for the website reference.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was over to Nolan Jackson's shop (Wichita Arms) a few weeks back. He is still in business but is making alot of gun rests somewhat like the Sinclair but only heavier duty. He makes two different sizes. I've got one for my 50 BMG and love it. I mentioned to him that I would like one of his single shot rifles and to put me on the back burner for one. He is pretty busy as are most of the more sought after gunsmiths. The barrelled actions I looked at were in the white and quite impressive. He can be reached after about 10AM in the morning until about 3PM in the afternoon. If he doesn't answer just leave a message and he'll get back with you. His phone is 316 265 0661.

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote