New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grip other than checkering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a clean and simple way to do the grip areas on a rifle or pistol stock other than checkering. Something that is durable also. I'm not talking about the stick on sandpaper. Thanks

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Stippling comes to mind. You need to buy or make a stippling punch, lay out the proposed areas and have at it. Its pretty common on match stocks and grips and when its done right it looks fair.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw a guy that had layed out a pattern, cover the rest of the stock, and then spray the exposed area on the forearm and grip with car body undercoating. No shit. It was on an original stocked mauser. It looked kind of funky, but it seemed to hold up good and had good feel. I can't tell you what kind of surface preparation he did, other than probably rough the hell out of the area he covered. Highly recommend doing a 'test chip' before hosing down an entire stock with the stuff.

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pac-Skin� The Ultimate Gripping Suface

http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/snapcaps.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my no-frills Rem .358 with birch stock I used a small round wood rasp to cut parallel grooves about 1/4 to 3/8" apart in the pistol grip and fore end. They work well at providing a more sure grip in wet weather or when wearing gloves.

With some care in layout and execution they can come out looking pretty nice on a working rifle. I have painted the whole rifle with earth tone Krylon paint in a leaf camo pattern. While not for everyone and every rifle this was my solution for a functional hunting rifle with no checkering. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote