New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1999 or M700?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just discovered that the M1999 action is available in this backwater country of mine, now that I had decided on getting a Remington 700.

For building a 7mm RM, which action would I be best off with, Remington or Montana?

How do I get stocks to fit the M1999? Can all Winchester stocks be made to fit?

Posts: 84 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I have a M1999 on order so I may be a bit biased in saying I would go with it. The claims I`ve heard is that all that is needed to fit a M1999 action to a Winchester inleted stock is a bit of minor trimming in the tang area.I would run a search on the M1999 here and on Huntamerica, loads of info has been give on them both by the manufacture and by smiths that have had access to them.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have either.

If it were me I would go for the montana. That is because I personally like CRF and like that 3 position safety. Every bolt action I own is CRF so I am probably biased because of that. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few rifles built on Remington 700 actions from .223 to 416 Remington.

I know have four M1999 actions on order. I will be building, .223, .308, 458 Lott and perhaps a 416 on these actions.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Kevral,

I have both as well, but I favor the M99. If you just want to buy a 7mm Mag, I would get the factory rifle. If you are looking at building a custom rifle, then the M99 is a good place to begin. I have two rifles in build now.

jimn dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heard all kind of bad things about Remington lately. Figured I might as well get a custom job right off, if Im willing to drive across the country (not all that far)I can get a custom M1999/McMillan/MRC flutet barrel for less than a Remington custom shop gun. So.....7mm RM or no, think Im going custom.

Posts: 84 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
that's a rhetorical question, right?

For building a hunterbench, the rem would be a decent start...

for a DGR, or even a CRF rifle, there's no choice but the 1999 (or m70 or cz) for the price.

I am building a 1999 PH sooner or later, haven't decided if it'll be a 416 or 450 rigby, 470 mbogo or another 500 jeffe.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
I noticed the post about stocks. It is a little more complicated than a little bit of inletting on a Winchester stock. If you want to get a stock now for our Long Action, you can contact AcraBond Laminates, McMillan, Boyds, Bell & Carlson, Tiger Industrial or Richards Microfits. If you want a stock right away, you could use a POST-64 Winchester Model 70 Classic. Inletting will include the rear tang and front ring, but the majority of the inletting will be around the bottom metal. A gunsmith we work with did one and it took about 2 1/2 hours.