Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Twist-Rate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
I'm considering building a light 06'... Pac-Nor 22" "Super-Match" stainless in the Winchester "featherweight" contour on a Stainless Model 70.

Bullet weights would be 150-180 grains (and possibly 200's). Pacnor offers a 3-groove 1-10" or a 4-groove 1-11"... I'm not sure which is best. The Win factory 06's are a four-groove 1-10". Penny at PacNor told me all the guys at the shop shoot 3-groove barrels (as do many military snipers)... apparently they foul less, thereby increasing accuracy. Guess I'm a bit old-fashioned and the idea of a 3-groove barrel is worrisome. Obviously 1-10" is THE standard in the 06' but isn't available in a 4-groove... what to do...

Brad

<Don G>
posted
The 3 groove 1:10 barrel gives good life and good accuracy. I would get the 1:10 twist and never worry about a reduction in accuracy - it just doesn't exist.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two feather weight Winchesters in 270 and neither of them shot. I sold the first one to John Nosler's brother in Sacramento and swore them off. 4 inch grups at best no matter what I did. I had a Ruger #1 in 270 that was a tack driver. Two years ago I picked up another 270 feather weight, this one in stainless steel. This one was a little better, but not much. This time for sure, not more featherweigh barrels. New or not, I sent it off to have a real barrel out on it, this one heavier than a regular factory barrel.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1x10 is standard, but I have had real good luck with 1x12....I like heavy bullets.

Caliber has nothing to do with accuracy within reason. Quality components and skilled workmanship will make them all shoot.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Brad,
I went with a 11 twist on my Lilja barrel in 30-338. It should handle up to 200gr bullets with no problems. The slightly slower twist's accuracy really comes into play at the longer ranges. sure-shot