New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Bolt Releasing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a left hand custom Mauser action/rifle. If I dry fire and work the bolt everything cycles correctly. If I put in a snap cap and fire when I cycle the bolt it releases from the action--meaning the bolt comes completely out of the rifle. Don't know anything about gunsmithing but assuming the bolt release needs to be adjusted? Is this something easily corrected by a gunsmith?
Any information is appreciated.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a week ejector spring. When the cartridge hits the ejector it is simply overpowering the spring and forcing the bolt stop out to the side. It could also be a broken or worn ejector and the ejector is running up the side of the cartridge instead of pushing on the base.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the early Yugo mausers imported by Herters, model XK-3 if memory is correct, had a bolt stop that resembles the bolt stop found on FN made Browning mausers. The XK-3 was often found with the same problem, which is that the bolt stop spring is not strong enough.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The preceding comments are useful, but to answer your question more directly: Yes, this is a problem requiring gunsmith or very experienced amateur skills. So now you need a smith. Many of the best are members of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Acceptance to the guild is juried and rigorous. As Browning says, "Might as well have the best." It won't cost you any more, and perhaps a lot less.

Calling Jim Kobe: Can you help this fellow?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Not denigrating the ACGG but applicants for membership aren't required to repair anything for admission. Any full time gunsmith with a shop should be able to repair your rifle. Talk to your local gun shop and ask them who in your area has a reputation for doing good work.

I'm thinking the end of the ejector may not be shaped correctly and is being pushed away rather than against by the extracted cartridge case. Has it worked correctly before? If it worked previously then most likely broken or weakened ejector spring as has been said is the likely cause.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapsboro:
Have a left hand custom Mauser action/rifle. If I dry fire and work the bolt everything cycles correctly. If I put in a snap cap and fire when I cycle the bolt it releases from the action--meaning the bolt comes completely out of the rifle. Don't know anything about gunsmithing but assuming the bolt release needs to be adjusted? Is this something easily corrected by a gunsmith?
Any information is appreciated.

First thing I would do is fire your snap cap and watch the ejector/bolt stop block as you pull the bolt fully rearward to see if it is opening. A build up of crud behind the ejector blade can cause this, so, to remove the ejector block, take a flat screw driver the correct size and undo the bolt stop/ejector block screw on the side of the action, it has a sharp point on the bottom of the screw, and remove the assembly. Inspect it for a broken bolt stop, this is the solid part (block) that the ejector blade swings between with the spring held by the screw. Also look for crud, grease and dust in the assembly and if the ejector blade moves freely. Clean it in mineral spirits or brake clean.
It is strange that it only does it with a snap cap, are they larger in the base than a normal cartridge?

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Not denigrating the ACGG but applicants for membership aren't required to repair anything for admission. Any full time gunsmith with a shop should be able to repair your rifle. Talk to your local gun shop and ask them who in your area has a reputation for doing good work.

I'm thinking the end of the ejector may not be shaped correctly and is being pushed away rather than against by the extracted cartridge case. Has it worked correctly before? If it worked previously then most likely broken or weakened ejector spring as has been said is the likely cause.

Many years ago one of my competitors said that he was going to join the ACGG John. On a lark I mailed off an inquiry and had a look at what they were selling. It looked pretty much like any other club. You paid your dues, submitted what they wanted and showed up for the meetings. I just sort of filed it back of my head with all of the other "improve your business with us propaganda", and never gave it a second thought.
When I judge someone I have never worked with, I generally look to see if they have been to The Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing or The Pennsylvania Gunsmithing School and if they ever followed it up and got their four years apprenticeship or four years in the field after. No different than any other trade really.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys.
I've never fired it so I do not know if it was previous issue. David Gentry built the action/rifle. Think it's about 20yrs old so hopefully it's just a spring that wore out over time.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I never judge a guy's work by whether he has been to a gunsmith school; seem some hacks that were graduates. I judge their work, and a conversation with them quickly tells if they know anything. Schooling only requires money and is no indication of skill.

Sticking out the two years in school generally shows some sort of commitment. The four years in the field after it generally shows that someone was able to make money off their work. But you're right. Seeing their work is the end all. I found I pretty much had to work with someone for a while to really get a feel for what they were capable of. Seeing one or two pieces of their work doesn't really cut it.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would start by replacing the bolt stop, sounds like your rifle is a left hand conversion is it not???

At any rate it needs to go to a gunsmith, and let him fix it..won't get fixed talking about it here... old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray, no it was built as a left hand and not a conversion.
Sounds like the consensus is the bolt release or bolt release spring.