Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
What are the benefits or theories on why a target style crown is better

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to answer your question as much as I'm going to state my opinion on the subject.

I don't think that any style of crown "is better" than another from the standpoint of accuracy. The purpose is to make the junction of bore and crown uniform. Flat, contoured, target, 11 degree, they all work about the same. Protecting the end of the rifling is where some styles work better than others.

The target or counter-bored style does all of that, it looks good and is easy to cut. That's why I prefer it.

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Protecting the end of the rifling is where some styles work better than others.

The target or counter-bored style does all of that, it looks good and is easy to cut. That's why I prefer it.

That's the way my gunsmith buddy cuts all of mine. Basically 90 degrees coming out to near the outside circumference, then a little "ridge" that protrudes forward. He then goes back in & just "knocks off" the "hard edge" of the bore opening with a very light chamfer. Works great, looks good, and no complaints on the results....

As said above, uniformity is the name of the game. Ed is very comfortable cutting his style, and it works great, so I'd never ask him to cut something "special" just because it's "supposed" to be better.