New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mausers?
 Login/Join

<1_pointer>
posted
Are they lighter and shorter than the 'normal' Mauser? I know of one already sporterized for $150 and thought that it might make for fun project to clean it up and possible swap out the .308 bbl for a .257 Roberts one.

All I could see of the crest under the scope bases was MexicoDF 1933. It also had to small holes on the right, front side of the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet Bill Tibbe would know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What type of cocking piece did it have? Mexican Mausers were built both in standard and intermediate length, so it will depend on which model you have. Most of them are intermediate, but not all. I am working away from all my referance material now, so can only rely on my rather shoddy memory. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I just had a thought (I'll have to be gentle with it, it's in a strange and scary place), we have covered this before, so if you do a search on this site, you should be able to find this info. I know I wrote all this down before, I just can't remember it all offhand. - Dan

<1_pointer>
posted
I did do a search and turned up threads pertaining to appropriate cartridges for Mexican Mausers, but not whether or not they are shorter/lighter. I'll go back and check out the cocking piece, but if I'm remembering correctly is was like the Springfield.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i will tell you what i was told. the mexican is a true 98 design and is a small ring variation. it is also both shorter and lighter than a standard large ring 98. it is considered to be an intermediate length, hence it needs a stock different than others. the 1910 model looks like a downsized standard mauser. the 1936 model has the larger cocking piece. being that it was originally a 7x57 it is a good match with the 257 roberts cartridge.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has the Springfield type cocking piece, it is either a model 36 or 54. They are essentially the same rifle, with a few cosmetic differances, and the 54 is made from more modern steel of course. The 36 will be chambered for 7 X 57 and the 54 is chambered for the 30-06 (cheap ammo from uncle sam). These are a tru 98 in design, and are what are know as an intermediate length action. So to answer your original question, yes, they are shorter and lighter then a standard 98. However, if the receiver is dated 1933, and it has the springfield type bolt, some one has swapped out bolts. As for the search, I know that I posted a breakdown of all the Mexican Mauser types here before, so maybe just keep looking. It was quite a while ago. - Dan

<1_pointer>
posted
Thanks for the info guys, I'll store it away. The gun was bought 'out from under me'. Guess I get the pleasure of keep looking.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 1910, and 1936 (dont know the 54) are SHORT. The 1910 and 1936 are small ring short action 98s, with 3 locking lugs, and is a TRUE 98, not a 96. But they will fit pretty easy, into a 96 stock (swede).

the 24 is a large ring intermediate action. I believe the 54 is a small ring intermediate, as well, as there is NO FRICKING WAY you can get a 30'06 into a short action(1910 or 1936) mag, without custom work. Max max max length would be 3.15 or mebbe 3.2, that leaving .0625 around the box.

Good news, there aint alot of 24's left... they are U G L Y, exactly like a turk 1903. I have 1910 actions dated in the early 30's, and 1936 actions dated till the late 40s.... I haven't seen a '24 that I would shoot, let alone work on, due to rust and pits.

my advice? ANYTIME it's a mexican mauser, under 200 bucks, buy it. If it has the cocking piece, wow, that's a smooth 100-125 bucks by it self

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeefe, I'll have to measure my 54 and one of my 36's or 1910's when I get home. I believe they are the same size actions. The 54 has a small "U" shaped divot cut out of the back of the front receiver ring, and is most definately chambered for the 30-06. I'm pretty sure the 1954 is simply a modernisation of the 1936. As I said, Ill check when I get home (the end of the month). I still like Mexican Mausers a lot, and think they are one of the best choices for a nice custom rifle. FWIW - Dan

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
thanks and it's always nice to know someone else that loves the mexicans...
I have the following on them
257 roberts
(had) 308 that got rebarreled to
376 steyr
and 458 winmag (cast bullets and/or 400 gr jackets ONLY because of length)

If the 54 can take a 30-06, it's bottom metal is definately different, and I wouldn't doubt it's been cut a bit on the rear of the rails. More work than I wanted to put into one.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<the-moleman>
posted
One thing to keep in mind is that some people will refer to Model 1893's and/or Model 1895's as "Mexican Mausers". These are definately not in the same league as the other actions discussed here.

Kurt