Find
Notify
Tools

what is the best protective coating?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
I recently had my rem 798 .375hh teflon coated in a matte black. i had the bedding/barrel pitting adventure in a thread on here a little while back. i chipped out all of the barrel channel bedding compound, sanded it smooth and opened up the channel a bit, then sealed the wood. then rebedded the action up to the barrel lug to fill in any gaps and air pockets i missed the first time. it turned out real well, and i have lots of clearance now between stock and barrel (several sheets of paper anyway).

but since i pitted the blueing the first time, i decided to have it coated. i found a gentleman on snipershide that looked like he did good work for the teflon coatings, and his turnaround time was a week. i have everything back, and like it. it seems like it will be very durable.

i have a rem700 in 7RM stainless that i am considering having coated black as well. i just dont like the look of a stainless barrel. i'm considering the same teflon coating i had done, but was wondering if there are others out there that are better. cera-hide, cera-kote, plain old krylon (much cheaper), etc... this is a hunting rifle, and will always be treated as such.

any opinions welcome
thanks for your time

here is the teflon coated .375hh with cell phone pics. hunterdouglas@verizon.net is doug, the guy at HD coatings that did the work.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Google qpq ... Its a heat treament..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
There is a black oxide for stainless.

QPQ may be a way to go as well don't know if it works on Stainless

Edit Just looked up QPQ and found out Kolene is the big company handling this process. We have an aircraft manufacture that has a huge Kolene line setup

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
The most corrosion resistant coating is a cerokote type coating over mag. phosphate. It's the only thing that will stand up to Alaska time after time. On stainless any of the coatings you mentioned will work great, except maybe Krylon. The surface must be sand or bead blasted......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple done in plain old teflon, no complaints. I can only tell from what I read, is that Cerakote seems a little tougher than teflon or Duracoat, but I would bet 98% of us would never be in tough enough environment to tell the difference.

Personally, I like the look of the matte black teflon, has the best apearance, and on the ones I have done, seems tough as nails.

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look up CASII who posts here. He does a great job at a good price. You can get whatever you want.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neer tried any of the newer coatings but have treated a couple of rifles to the deluxe Rustoleum spray paint treatment. It held up as good as any teflon coating I have tried.
Easy to touch up, change colors, or to remove.

Sounds cheesy but it works very well. Just keep it out of the trigger, lug area, etc.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote