Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthening a mauser mag box
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I have been after my gunsmith to try this for a while. What are the steps? We are trying to get a 300 H&H length action. Our first thought was two triggerguards cut, welded and machined down into a single long one. Are we on the right track? I am not interested in buying one we are just looking for a challenge. I know that he is up to it in ability, we just need to know the best steps to take.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The spacing between the guard screws on a H&H length and normal M98 are the same. The magazine box itself is the only thing longer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
The spacing between the guard screws on a H&H length and normal M98 are the same. The magazine box itself is the only thing longer.

I realize that, but how do go about getting it?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Besides lengthening the box you need to widen it too.

Most simply cut the front and/or rear of the box off and weld on a new wall to the outside of the box.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What action are you using? Most '98s are opened in the rear but if you have a Mark X, Whitworth or Chas Daly it is lengthened in front. If you can find a picture on the net of a MkX, it's easy to see how they bend a u-shaped extension and spot weld it to the front of the original box. Just reverse the idea if you open the rear.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's true that the CD's & Interarms are opened only to the front.

But, you cannot open soley to the rear. It has to be a combination of both front & rear. Go to the rear as much as possible then remove the remainder from the front. Don't forget you'll need bolt stop work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get your hands on a copy of the book Riflesmithing by Jack Mitchell, there is a chapter in there, with photos, that speaks to exactly what you are asking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How FN, MK X modified the 30-06 box to a long magnum.

Recut the rear of the box wall from .118" to .050" thick

Then recut the front of the box wall out to accept a .050" thick U shaped piece of stamped metal. This was spot welded in place to form the NEW LONGER front of the box for the H&H cases.

The WIDTH of the box is still a 30-06 which can cause some feeding problems depending on the cartidge used. Also only allows three cases in the box due to the narrower width.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote