New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 groove barrel
 Login/Join

<seven17>
posted
I have plans to build a heavy barrel rifle in a fast .224 caliber for lighter bullets. The barrel blank is a 1-14 twist but I just discovered it is a 3 groove barrel. What is the purpose of a 3 groove? Is it the wrong setup for what I am trying to do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor has been using a lot of 3-groove barrels lately, and the idea behind it is (from what I understand) is the lands are wider which slows down throat erosion in fast-stepping small calibers. I think they also claim higher velocities as there is less engraving surface on the bullet. A friend just had a 17MachIV built using one and he is pleased with the results.

That barrel will probably do the trick for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I HAVE A 3 GROOVER IN CUSTOM 6MMPPC REPEATER SHOT 1/4 AND LESS FOR 3000 ROUNDS OR SO THEN OUT TO 1/2 TO 3/4 [5 SHOT 100 YARDS] IN NEXT 6000 ROUNDS. HAD THROAT CUT 3/4 INCH BACK TO 1/4 TO 1/2 INCH FOR ANOTHER 3000 SHOTS AND STILL SHOOTS TO GOOD TO REBARREL. BARREL-MADCO 26 INCH HEAVY. POWDER-BENCH MARK 2.SAME AS 4895. NORMA BRASS, [SEEMS TO LAST FOREVER] PROJY., 65gn VMAX MOLY 27.5gns OF POWDER FOR 3150 FPS.BEST RUN BY FAR I HAVE EVER HAD FROM ANY BARREL. SIGN ROO SHOOTER.

Posts: 18 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote