New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun stock opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a stock from Accurate Innovations? Does the aluminum chassis they use contribute significantly to accuracy and/or strength? This would be for a Rem 700 action in 404 Jeffrey.

Also looking for suggestions for alternate stock makers.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an Accurate Innovations for my Montana Rifle barreled action in 250 Savage. I originally ordered it because I wanted a wood stock that was somewhat more resistant to the weather. I ended up regretting the purchase. I never could get the gun to shoot accurately and I tried everything to make it shoot well. I eventually had the gun rebarreled to 257 Roberts and it still wasn't very accurate with that stock.

Another thing I didn't like very much about it was it was relatively heavy at 2lbs 5oz and combined with the heavy Montana action and #3 contour barrel, the gun was heavy. Plus, I paid for the AA wood upgrade and the wood I received wasn't quite up to that standard.

So I cut my losses and had my gun restocked with a McMillan Edge. The fit of the stock is much better and it cut my groups down substantially. It's now an accurate gun, its lighter, and the stock fits perfectly because McMillan installed it for me. When I rebarreled to 257 Roberts I had the contour changed to #2, so now the gun is much lighter with the McMillan stock.

So I considered the Accurate Innovations stock an expensive lesson learned.