Find
Notify
Tools

Thompson Center Model 83 or 87 Single Shot Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Have any of you gunsmiths done custom work on one of these rifles? Can you tell me the pros and cons to the gun? Did T/C make it or import it under thier name?

I have one offered to me, but I know little if anything about it. I did see one on the internet offered with a custom barrel as a 470 Nitro. Does that seem right?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Also called the Aristocrat

I thought someone would have been asked to make one of theseinto a European stalking rifle or something similar?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
thompson made them in house and lost all the tooling in their fire several years back.
i have a 87 aristocrat with a couple of barrels and love it ive been tryin to get some more barrels but cant seem to find anyone making them. youll love it if u get it

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
That is a same becuase the rifle looks like a lot of very expensive euro singles. I still have trouble seeing one taking a 470 nitro. Do you think the action is large enough to handle such a cartridge?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I regret having not gotten one when they were available. I've heard that they were finicky with accuracy, but have never fired one.

I believe at least one of the companies that make custom barrels for contenders and encores offer mdl 83/87 barrels. I'd suggest contacting SSK, as I believe they were the shop, and if they don't, perhaps they'd have an idea who does.

You might also want to post in the single shot rifle forum.

Almost forgot, they were factory chamered in the belted magnum rounds.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The rifles actually were two slightly different models...mechanically the actions were the same, but not all else was.

The TC-'83 had a much better, more polished, finish and a bright luster blue very similar to that found on the highest grades of colt revolvers. The '87 had a finish closer to "matt" blue. The forend was attached differently as well.

Another possible difference is the trigger set-ups. All of the TC'83 rifles I've happened to run across were equipped with double-set triggers, while all the TC 87s I've seen had single triggers. That may have just been an option, though.

I don't know if it is true of all their production, but the Model '87 barrels I have are heavier in profile, and do not have a front sight. All my TC '83 barrels do have front sights. (Barrels of either vintage will fit actions of both years.)

SSK hs been making barels on request, but they are rather pricey. Fox Ridge (TC's custom shop) used to have a supply of barrels in stock, but I do not know if they still do.

My TCR '83 is complete with 7 different barrels (all with their own scopes), and I love the little sucker dearly. All the arrels except the one in .32-40 Winchester, are quite accurate.

My next step is to get one of the 12 gauge barrels too....(Yes, in their day, one could also get shotgun barrels for them.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The rifle that is available to me is a T/C '83 with double set triggers and a .270 barrel. I would love to get this gun and slick it up and use it for pig hunting and still hunting deer.