New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somebody to change comb of my stock???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need recommendations on somebody to do some stock work for me please. I shot my 458win today for the first time. Awesome!!! My first "african gun". Although it doesn't seem to kick harder than my No. 3 in 45/70 it did throw out some good recoil. (I am 6' 250lbs so I guess I absorb it well).

anyways, the one problem is that the stock, while stout, was a boyd's or bishop and was designed for a scoped rifle I think. the comb is too high and to get down low enough to use the iron sites (which is all I am equiping it for) I really have to put my cheekbone down on the comb hard, instead of my cheek itself as I usually do when shooting. So when it goes off it's like taking a hit to the face. I need the comb taken down so that it brings my eyes right in line with the sight picture when i throw it up.

Could you all recommend somebody I could have do this? I don't have a ton of money, and the wood isn't real special, I just need it done right and shaped properly, I can to the finish sanding and refinish it to match the rest of the rifle.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that a rifle with a proper large bore stock will not only have the drop at heel 1.5" lower, but will also have the drop at toe 1.5" lower. This way the stock maintains decent dimensions on the butt, to distribute recoil.

If you have a straight "American Classic" comb for scope use, you may not have enough wood in the butt to lower the comb. Measure upwards from the toe before you have anyone removing wood from the heel. You'll need at least 5" to distribute the recoil from a .458 WM.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right, I think I know what you are talking about. If I were looking straight at the butt of the rifle the heel would be the top of the butt and the toe the bottom? I will go measure right now as I have not cleaned and safed it yet.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
All right, looks like I might be SOL. I have at the stock end about 4.75", at the end of the buttpad this translates to 5". So am i faced with having to get a new stock? Damnit! I like this one. Maybe I will just have to use it on my other 1917 action and build it in a caliber that is better suited to a scope?

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to the bearer of bad news. A Monte Carlo style (Sako) or Hog's Back (CZ) can be altered for iron sights, since the pad is already low enough and doesn't have to be touched. Only the cheekpiece area of the comb would need to be removed.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have in the past taken about 1/8" or a bit more or less off the comb of stocks such as yours by tapering the cut from heel to comb, it doesn't take much..It seems to have worked for everyone so far..The American classic is strictly for scoped guns but most can be modified for cheek wack....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson,

I thought about trying it anyways, but since I have another 1917 I might just leave it like it is and build the other action into something that could utilize a scope. I thought about a scoped 416 Taylor??

I was looking at getting a new stock, Great American Gunstocks said that they have one that is like their Gary ghoudy pattern but with a lower butt for open sighted guns and they inlet it for Enfields.

do you know if their stocks are any good? Do you have any recommendations of places to get affordable inletted stocks in a good shape for an iron sighted gun?

Thanks very much.

Red