THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom single shot actions, what's available?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I like the Dakota Model 10, but I really think I like Martin Hagns action more. What is available?

Rules!

Gotta be a falling block!

Gotta have be able to color case harden it.

Gotta be hammerless!

Can't be a big ugly Farqson Ruger monstrosity!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I had thought about using a number 3 and cutting the lever, but you still have that big tumbler bolt through the sides of the action.

I like Number ones and Farqsons, just think they are for big calibers.

Pretty gun, not big tough gun!

Probably a 7x57 or 7x65R

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you seen Butch Searcys new single shot, it is a dream gun. wore one out at SCI Reno, just messing with it, then Tom Shelleck took it away from me and bought it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Contact Ralph Paschen, the e-mail is on my Rambouillet Big Game Show post.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to do with the company, but these look real interesting...especially if you have a good gunsmith/machinist. I would be interested to see if anyone has used one of these.
www.actioncastings.us

Posts: 1648 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen that site before. It definitely wins the contest for the absolute worst stock job in the history of firearms!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Jimmy S. Johnson out of Raytown Mo had his superb single shot actions at the guild show in Reno. You might want to get his contact info from one of the guild members. From what I seen, I think his actions would make an absolute first rate custom single.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
I have nothing to do with the company, but these look real interesting...especially if you have a good gunsmith/machinist. I would be interested to see if anyone has used one of these.
www.actioncastings.us

Yep, don't want a Farqson!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If U got buck$, Hagn all the way.
Tight,smoooth,classic,classy,clicks like a swiss watch and locks up with the feel of a bank vault. and has true Pedigree distinction.
AnyThingElse you could ask For?

the Small is dandy and my pick for 7x57.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is simply impossible to beat a good original Winchester action in my opinion, but if the hammer puts you off, why not a Borchardt?

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Hall, makes several sizes of falling block actions.

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Jimmy S. Johnson out of Raytown Mo had his superb single shot actions at the guild show in Reno. You might want to get his contact info from one of the guild members. From what I seen, I think his actions would make an absolute first rate custom single.

Check references carefully before you send a deposit.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer,
Hall does not make falling blocks anymore. I've been looking for one and have visited with him about it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, i got just the one for you. It meets all of your qualificatiions and more. Its the little but classic BSA Cadet Martini action. I have built up a lot of them,and i really love mine in a 223cal. vangunsmith

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
BSA, Farqson, you guys are really off track.

I will either end up with a Dakota M10, Hagn, or something similar.

I would want to commit suicide if I spent $7500 on a rifle with a Farqson or a BSA Martini action.

Different strokes I guess.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I had Don Klein build a custom rifle for me on a Dakota 10 action. It's a gorgeous rifle and a delight to carry, but one of my major regrets is not having used a Hagn action for that rifle. Live and learn I guess.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I would want to commit suicide if I spent $7500 on a rifle with a Farqson or a BSA Martini action.

Different strokes I guess.

Now that would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Smiler

If you have the cash I'd consider a Borchardt or even a 77 Sharps from this guy
http://www.lozito-wolf.com/index.html

Or, for a bit less money, I'd consider one of these actions:

One of which happens to available right now from here:
Steve Earl's Wesson action

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
ForrestB, Sure am curious what Don would do with a Dakota #10? Do you have a postable pic handy? Thanks.
SDH

SDH,
This is the only photo I have handy and hosted. I really need to get some good photos of this rifle so everyone here can see a bit of Don's work. Don did a lot of work on the trigger, safety, and lever of this rifle. After he finished, he gave me a critique of the Dakota 10 action and said he fixed as many of the inherent problems as he could. All I remember from the conversation was thinking that I could of had a Hagn.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's a 257 Roberts. I'll get some more photos, but it'll be a couple of weeks.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's not that I don't appreciate the rifle - I really like it. It's just that at the end of every project I ask myself what would I do different next time.

What I really appreciate about this rifle is Don's wonderful work, especially his finish work, and the fact that Terry Wallace did the engraving. Terry was a great guy and a great engraver. I miss him.

My photos won't be as good as yours but I'll get some photos up and you can explain the styling differences to everyone.