New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stripped sling hole advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a Brno/CZ mauser that has a stripped out front sling mount. Does Brownell's or someone sell a threaded anchor that I can use to fix it, i.e. drill the hole out oversized, screw in the anchor and then screw the sling mount (machine screw type probably) into the anchor? Obviously I can fill the hole and drill a new one, I'm just trying to not do that unless I have to.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Goes in the barrel channel.

Try Brownell's.

flaco

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here you go big spender.....

Countersink it in from the barrel channel, as suggested by flaco.

$2.49 at Midway

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I already thought about that and have had to do that on another gun in the past that had a synthetic stock. I was just hoping that someone made such an anchor, so that I didn't have to do the whole countersink routine, but it's easy enough.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For a temp. fix, try wrapping a bit of steel wool around the screw & then screw it in. It should hold for awhile. yuo could also just accraglass the swivel into the hole.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just put some epoxy gel of anykind in the hole wax the screw , put it in, wipe of excess.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fixed one and it has worked for years, by bundeling up a few tooth picks and squirting them with elmers glue, breaking them off in the hole, waiting for the glue to dry, then screwing the stud in. It has worked well enough i cant remember witch of my rifles i did it too ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones,

I learned that same trick from my dad, other than he used wood match sticks instead of toothpicks. I fixed a stripped out stud on the bottstock of my Ruger 10/22 like that probably 15 years ago and it's held ever since...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher, McMillan and others use a threaded anchor that has a pretty large bearing surface on the bottom of the barrel channel that the stud threads into--it has a couple of integral 'fins' that are driven into the stock under pressure. perhaps just when the stud is buttoned down--seems pretty bullet proof to look at it.

I am sure you can find something like this at Brownells if not Home Depot or a hardware store.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote