New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 whelen conversion to 358 norma???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, I have a question for the smiths on the forum. It's likely ridiculous, but I know little or nothing about the mechanics behind this stuff. I have a remington 700 mountain rifle that was originally a 30-06. I had a gun smith in Dallas rebarrel and rework it into a 35 whelen for me. I believe he put a douglas .358 barrel on it (it was the light er of the two options in terms of barrel weight/thickness)

I would like to convert it into a 358 norma. I don't know if the action on the rifle will work, and if it will, I don't know what needs to be done for a proper conversion. I don't really know of a competent smith in Austin, so I'd like to know what to tell him to do (not saying there isn't one, I just always used my guy in Dallas, and I don't know any here in Austin).

Thanks for the help fellas.

Also, I considered a conversion into a 9.3x64 Brenneke, but I'm not sure I want to pay for a new barrel and I hear brenneke brass is tough to come by.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is possible to do what you are asking but I don't think many would recommend it. The easiest way to convert your 700 would be to find a 700 bolt with a magnum boltface.(not that easy). Your barrel could be re-chambered and the feedrails re-worked but if it is a lightweight barrel that may not be the best in 358 N. Or you modify the existing bolt and put a Sako style extractor on it and that is going to cost lots of money. If you insist on a Model 700 I would suggest you shop around and find an old 700 with a mag bolt face in 7mm or 300 win with a shot out barrel.Install a new barrel in 358 Norma and you will be better off.Hope that helps

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .Your barrel could be re-chambered and the feedrails re-worked. . .

Does a M700 have feedrails?

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Snowman has told you the truth. Another option would be a Savage action. Even new they are not that expensive. They are strong and the bolt face is easy to change. Accurate Innovations makes some great stocks for a Savage as well as other manufactures like, H-S Precision and McMillan. Just a thought.

Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should probably just keep my mouth shut, but contrary to what has been posted, it is a pretty easy conversion.

With the exception of the RUM's, Remington 700 long actions all share the same mag box, follower and feed rails. Swapping between chamberings is not a big deal.

The only "challenge" would be the bolt face. Lots of guys install Sako extractors. It isn't a huge deal. Some will argue that it decreases safety, and if that concern you it is easy to find a magnum bolt for a 700. You're going to have to set headspace anyway on the rechamber.

You'd be able to sell your old bolt for what the new one cost you, and you might even find someone wanting to swap bolts.

"Your barrel could be re-chambered and the feedrails re-worked but if it is a lightweight barrel that may not be the best in 358 N."

This quote is pretty puzzling.... Why exactly would a barrel that is suitable for a 35 Whelen not be suitable for a 358 Norma? They operate at about the same pressure, and if one was concerned that the barrel was too slender at the chamber shoulder, it was unsafe to begin with. Worry about recoil would not have someone looking to step up to a larger chambering, so I doubt that is a concern.

Go for it if that is what you want to do.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My 358N was an FN 35W simply rechambered. I don't see the light barrel as an issue. Bolt head work and a Sako extractor or a magnum bolt either way.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Like Paul said, not too big a deal.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember Dave Kiff sells new Remington bolts at a very reasonable price.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
And Dave's Remington bolts are very, very nice.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
I don't really know of a competent smith in Austin, so I'd like to know what to tell him to do (not saying there isn't one, I just always used my guy in Dallas, and I don't know any here in Austin).

Thanks for the help fellas.

There is a very good man not far from you named Mark Pharr. He's best known for building competition 22lr rifles but can do it all. My other lap top with his number is down but if you can't find it I should be up by middle of next week. Just PM me and I'll forward it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns could probably fix him up too.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote