New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dies and barrel with no home.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a set of .338-378 weatherby magnum RCBS full length, trim and case forming dies. I also have a shilen barrel for a ruger #1 in same caliber. What in the hell can a guy do with those things? I had thought they were from a weatherby rifle until I actually got them home.

Posts: 32 | Location: Gilbert, Mn | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well for starters the Ruger barrel thread 1"x16 tpi is the same as the M70 winchester. Food for thought.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel already chambered too?

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is chambered for the 338-378 weatherby magnum. Does winchester make a M70 action in a length suitable for that round?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I can't say if its possible or not. I've never heard of one of the big Weatherby cartridges on that action but I am certainly not the end of all knowledge. If there is enough shank you can cut the threads off and start over or you can suck it up and get a #1. Unless you really really want a #1 in that caliber I would put the stuff on eBay and try to get out whole.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there is enough shank left of the barrel to cut it off and rechamber to a 338 win mag but I'm not sure of that. I doubt I can re-use the barrel for that huge weatherby case. Seems to me the barrel should work for something.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat with a beatiful integral rib barrel roughed out for 416 Rigby. The threads were turned off and I have one of two choices, bush the threads and use as-is which will require some serious analysis or cut the threads off and live with a rather unusual barrel profile. I haven't been able or willing to decide yet.

I am also not sure how much chamber you will have to surrender to get to a 338 Win Mag. You can overlay chamber dimensions to find what your options are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not put the barrel on a #1 Ruger Tropical?

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like you're "hosed"

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Ja! Yust put it on a No.1 action, unt be happy!!